Brand Name Choices
No generic medication is available for Alli (Orlistat)
What Alli is and what it is used for
alli is used for weight loss in adults aged 18 and over who are overweight, and have a body mass index (BMI) of 28 or above. alli should be used along with a reduced calorie, lower-fat diet. BMI is a way to find out if you have a healthy weight, or are overweight, for your height. The chart below will help you find out whether you are overweight and whether alli is right for you. Find your height on the chart. If you weigh less than the weight shown for your height, do not take alli. Height 1.50 m 1.55 m 1.60 m 1.65 m 1.70 m 1.75 m 1.80 m 1.85 m 1.90 m Weight 63 kg 67.25 kg 71.75 kg 76.25 kg 81 kg 85.75 kg 90.75 kg 95.75 kg 101 kg Height 4’ 10’’ 5’ 0’’ 5’ 2’’ 5’ 4’’ 5’ 6’’ 5’ 8’’ 5’ 10’’ 6’ 0’’ 6’ 2’’ Weight 9 st 8 lbs 10 st 3 lbs 10 st 13 lbs 11 st 9 lbs 12 st 5 lbs 13 st 2 lbs 13 st 13 lbs 14 st 10 lbs 15 st 8 lbs
How to take Alli
Preparing to lose weight 1. Choose your start date Choose the day you will start taking the capsules ahead of time. Before you start taking the capsules, begin your reduced calorie, lower-fat diet and give your body a few days to adjust to your new eating habits. Keep a record of what you are eating in a food diary. Food diaries are effective, because they make you aware of what you are eating, how much you eat, and give you the basis to make changes. 2. Decide on your weight loss goal Think about how much weight you want to lose and then set a target weight. A realistic goal is to lose between 5% to 10% of your starting weight. The amount of weight you lose may vary from week to week. You should aim to lose weight at a gradual, steady pace of about 0.5 kg (1 lb) per week. 3. Set your calorie and fat targets To help you reach your weight-loss goal you need to set two daily targets, one for calories and one for fat. For further advice see Further helpful information in the blue pages in section 6. 22 3 22 Taking alli Adults 18 and over
• Take one capsule, three times a day.
• Take alli just before, during or up to one hour after meals. This usually means one capsule at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Make sure your three main meals are well balanced, reduced calorie, and lower-fat.
• If you miss a meal, or your meal contains no fat, do not take a capsule. alli does not work unless there is some fat in the meal.
• Swallow the capsule whole with water.
• Do not take more than 3 capsules a day.
• You can keep your daily dose of alli in the blue carry case (Shuttle®) included in this pack.
• Eat lower-fat meals to reduce the chance of diet-related treatment effects (see section 4).
• Try to be more physically active before you start taking the capsules. Physical activity is an important part of a weight loss programme. Remember to check with your doctor first if you have not exercised before.
• Continue to be active while taking alli and after you stop taking it. 23 3 How long should I take alli for?
• alli should not be taken for more than six months.
• If you do not lose weight after taking alli for 12 weeks, see your doctor or pharmacist for advice. You may need to stop taking alli.
• Successful weight loss is not just about eating differently for a short period of time before reverting to your old habits. People who lose weight and maintain the loss make lifestyle changes, which include changes to what they eat and how active they are. If you take more alli than you should
• Do not take more than 3 capsules a day. ➜ If you have taken too many capsules, contact a doctor as soon as possible If you forget to take alli If you miss taking a capsule:
• If it is less than an hour since your last main meal, take the missed capsule.
• If it is more than an hour since your last main meal, do not take the missed capsule. Wait and take the next capsule around your next main meal as usual. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Most of the common side effects related to alli (for example, wind with or without oily spotting, sudden or more frequent bowel motions and soft stools) are caused by the way it works (see section 1). Eat lower-fat meals to help manage these diet-related treatment effects. Serious side effects It is not known how frequently these side effects occur. ! Severe allergic reactions
• Signs of a severe allergic reaction include: severe breathing difficulties, sweating, rash, itching, swollen face, rapid heart beat, collapse. ➜ Stop taking the capsules. Get medical help immediately. 28 4 28 ! Other serious side effects
• Bleeding from the back passage (rectum).
• Diverticulitis (inflammation of the large intestine). Symptoms may include lower stomach (abdominal) pain, particularly on the left side, possibly with fever and constipation.
• Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). Symptoms may include severe abdominal pain sometimes radiating towards the back, possibly with fever, nausea and vomiting.
• Skin blistering (including blisters that burst).
• Severe stomach pain caused by gallstones.
• Hepatitis (inflammation of the liver). Symptoms can include yellowing skin and eyes, itching, dark coloured urine, stomach pain and liver tenderness (indicated by pain under the front of the rib cage on your right hand side), sometimes with loss of appetite.
• Oxalate nephropathy (build up of calcium oxalate which may lead to kidney stones). See section 2, warnings and precautions. ➜ Stop taking the capsules. Tell your doctor if you get any of these.
Very common side effects These may affect more than 1 in 10 people taking alli
• Wind (flatulence), with or without oily spotting.
• Sudden bowel motions. 29 4
• Fatty or oily stools.
• Soft stools. ➜ Tell your doctor or pharmacist if any of these side effects gets severe or troublesome
Common side effects These may affect up to 1 in 10 people taking alli
• Stomach (abdominal) pain.
• Incontinence (stools).
• Runny/liquid stools.
• More frequent bowel motions.
• Anxiety. ➜ Tell your doctor or pharmacist if any of these side effects gets severe or troublesome Effects seen in blood tests It is not known how frequently these effects occur
• Increases in the levels of some liver enzymes.
• Effects on blood clotting in people taking warfarin or other blood-thinning (anti-coagulant) medicines. ➜ Tell your doctor that you are taking alli when you have a blood test 30 4 30 If you get any side effects talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine. Learn to deal with alli effects related to your diet or fat intake The most common side effects are caused by the way the capsules work and result from some of the fat being passed out of your body. Such effects typically occur within the first few weeks of using the capsules, before you may have learnt to limit the amount of fat in your diet. Such dietrelated treatment effects may be a signal that you have eaten more fat than you should have done. You can learn to minimise the impact of diet-related treatment effects by following these guidelines:
• Start your lower-fat diet a few days, or even a week, before you begin taking the capsules.
• Find out more about how much fat your favourite foods typically contain, and the size of your portions. By familiarising yourself with portions you will be less likely to accidentally exceed your fat target.
• Distribute your fat allowance evenly across your meals for the day. Do not “save up” fat and calorie allowances and then splurge on a high-fat meal or dessert, as you may have done on other weight loss programmes. 31 4
• Most users who experience these effects find that they can manage and control them by adjusting their diet. Do not be concerned if you do not experience any of these problems. This does not mean that the capsules are not working.
How to Store Alli
• Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and bottle after “EXP”. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• Do not store above 25°C.
• Keep the container tightly closed to protect from moisture.
• The bottle contains two sealed canisters containing silica gel to keep the capsules dry. Keep the canisters in the bottle. Do not swallow them.
• You can also keep your daily dose of alli in the blue carry case (Shuttle®) included in this pack. Discard any capsules stored in the carry case for more than one month.
• Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help to protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.