What Aromasin is and what it is used for
Your medicine is called Aromasin. Aromasin belongs to a group of medicines known as aromatase inhibitors. These medicines interfere with a substance called aromatase, which is needed to make the female sex hormones, oestrogens, especially in postmenopausal women. Reduction in oestrogen levels in the body is a way of treating hormone dependent breast cancer. Aromasin is used to treat hormone dependent early breast cancer in postmenopausal women after they have completed 2-3 years of treatment with the medicine tamoxifen. Aromasin is also used to treat hormone dependent advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women when a different hormonal drug treatment has not worked well enough.
How to take Aromasin
Adults and the elderly patients Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor if you are not sure. Aromasin tablets should be taken by mouth after a meal at approximately the same time each day. Your doctor will tell you how to take Aromasin and for how long. The recommended dose is one 25 mg tablet daily. If you need to go to the hospital whilst taking Aromasin, let the medical staff know what medication you are taking. Use in children Aromasin is not suitable for use in children. If you take more Aromasin than you should If too many tablets are taken by accident, contact your doctor at once or go straight to the nearest hospital casualty department. Show them the pack of Aromasin tablets. If you forget to take Aromasin Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten tablet. If you forget to take your tablet, take it as soon as you remember. If it is nearly time for the next dose, take it at the usual time. If you stop taking Aromasin Do not stop taking your tablets even if you are feeling well, unless your doctor tells you. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor, pharmacist or nurse.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Hypersensitivity, inflammation of the liver (hepatitis) and inflammation of the bile ducts of the liver
which cause yellowing of the skin (cholestatic hepatitis) may occur. Symptoms include feeling
generally unwell, nausea, jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes), itching, right sided abdominal
pain and loss of appetite. Contact your doctor promptly to seek urgent medical advice if you think
you have any of these symptoms.
In general, Aromasin is well tolerated and the following side effects observed in patients treated with
Aromasin are mainly mild or moderate in nature. Most of the side effects are associated with a
shortage of oestrogen (e.g. hot flushes).
Very common: may affect more than 1 in 10 people
• Difficulty sleeping
• Hot flushes
• Feeling sick
• Increased sweating
• Muscle and joint pain (including osteoarthritis, back pain, arthritis and joint stiffness)
• A reduction in the number of white blood cells
• Abdominal pain
• Elevated level of liver enzymes
• Elevated level of a haemoglobin breakdown in the blood
• Elevated level of a blood enzyme in the blood due to liver damage
Common: may affect up to 1 in 10 people
• Loss of appetite
• Carpal tunnel syndrome (a combination of pins and needles, numbness and pain affecting all of the hand except the little finger) or tingling/prickling of the skin
• Vomiting (being sick), constipation, indigestion, diarrhoea
• Hair loss
• Skin rash, hives and itchiness
• Thinning of bones which might decrease their strength (osteoporosis), leading to bone fractures (breaks or cracks) in some cases
• Swollen hands and feet
• A reduction in the number of platelets in the blood
• Feeling of weakness
Uncommon: may affect up to 1 in 100 people
Rare: may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people
• A breakout of small blisters on an area of the skin in a rash
• Inflammation of the liver
• Inflammation of the bile ducts of the liver which cause yellowing of the skin
Not known: frequency cannot be estimated from the available data
• Low level of certain white blood cells in the blood Changes in the amount of certain blood cells (lymphocytes) and platelets circulating in your blood, especially in patients with a pre-existing lymphopenia (reduced lymphocytes in the blood) may also be seen.
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly (see details below). By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine. United Kingdom Yellow Card Scheme Website: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store Malta ADR Reporting Website: www.medicinesauthority.gov.mt/adrportal
How to Store Aromasin
• Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the outer carton and the blister after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• This medicine does not require any special storage conditions. Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.