What Asacol HD is and what it is used for
Asacol 400mg MR tablets contain the active substance mesalazine (also known as 5-
aminosalicylic acid) which is an anti-inflammatory drug used in the treatment of:
• Ulcerative colitis
•a disease of the large bowel (colon) and back passage (rectum) in which the lining of the bowel becomes inflamed (red and swollen). Symptoms can include rectal bleeding, frequent diarrhoea and abdominal pain. Asacol 400mg MR tablets act locally in the colon to reduce inflammation and can also prevent further episodes (flares) of ulcerative colitis.
How to take Asacol HD
Always take Asacol 400mg MR tablets exactly as your doctor has told you. You should
check with your doctor if you are not sure.
The tablets should be swallowed whole with water; do not break, crush or chew them.
Whilst taking this medicine ensure you drink adequate fluids to remain well hydrated,
especially after severe or prolonged episodes of vomiting and /or diarrhoea, high fever or
heavy sweating. This is to avoid problems with your kidneys.
The usual dose is:
• Treating ulcerative colitis
•6 tablets each day divided throughout the day. For example:
•2 tablets 3 times a day OR
•3 tablets twice a day.
• Preventing further episodes of ulcerative colitis
•between 3 and 6 tablets once daily or divided throughout the day. For example:
•a daily dosage of 3 tablets may be taken as 3 tablets once a day or 1 tablet 3 times a day
•a daily dosage of 6 tablets may be taken as 6 tablets once a day or 3 tablets twice a day.
• Preventing further episodes of Crohn’s ileo-colitis – between 3 and 6 tablets divided throughout the day. For example:
•a daily dosage of 3 tablets may be taken as 1 tablet 3 times a day
•a daily dosage of 6 tablets may be taken as 3 tablets twice a day. DO NOT take more than 6 tablets a day. Asacol 400mg MR tablets are not recommended for use in children. If you stop taking Ascol 400mg MR tablets Keep taking the tablets for as long as your doctor tells you. Your symptoms may come back if you stop treatment too early. Remember to get a repeat prescription at the right time so that you do not miss a day of treatment. If you take more Asacol 400mg MR tablets than you should Do not exceed the recommended dose. You should only take as many tablets as your doctor has instructed on the pharmacist’s label. If you take too much medicine, tell your doctor immediately or go to your nearest Accident & Emergency Department. Take the tablet pack with you if possible. If you forget to take Asacol 400mg MR tablets If you forget to take a dose at the required time, take it as soon as you remember and continue taking your tablets as before. DO NOT take more than two doses in one hour. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and carry on as before. If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Asacol 400mg MR tablets can cause side effects, although not everybody
Allergic reactions can occur. Tell your doctor if you get:
• a rash with or without itching, any shortness of breath, palpitations (rapid heart beat) or chest pain. These effects will usually disappear when you stop taking the medicine. Tell your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms:
• fever, sore throat, mouth or lip ulcers, spots underneath your skin anywhere on your body, including the genital and anal regions, become very pale, swollen ankles or have unusual bleeding (e.g. unexpected nosebleeds or bleeding gums)
• skin rash with flaking, boils or sore lips or mouth
• bruising more easily or suspect blood abnormalities
• problems with kidney function
Common side effects (in more than 1 in 100 people but less than 1 in 10 people):
• abdominal pain
• nausea (feeling sick)
Rare side effects (in less than 1 in 1000 people):
• problems with heart, lung, liver or kidney function
• inflammation of the pancreas
• blood abnormalities
• numbness and tingling of the fingers and toes due to damaged nerves
• hair loss
• skin rash.
Very rare side effects (in less than 1 in 10,000 people):
• worsening of symptoms of colitis
• Erythema multiforme and Stevens-Johnson syndrome (skin and mucous membrane disease).
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Asacol HD
Keep out of the sight and reach of children. Store Asacol 400mg MR tablets in their original pack below 25°C (77°F) in a dry place, protected from direct sunlight. Do not remove the moisture absorbing pouch from the bottle. The pouch is not part of your medicine and is marked DO NOT EAT. Keep the bottle tightly closed. Do not use Asacol 400mg MR tablets after the expiry date which is stated on the pack after ‘Exp’. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantees
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.