Brand Name Choices
No brand medication is available for Atarax (Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride)
What Atarax is and what it is used for
Atarax belongs to a group of medicines called antihistamines (used to treat allergic reactions). It is used in adults and children to reduce itching caused by urticaria (nettle rash) and dermatitis (eczema). Atarax is also used to treat anxiety in adults.
How to take Atarax
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you to.
You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Atarax should be used at the lowest effective dose and the treatment period
should be as short as possible.
The recommended dose is:
In adults and children over 40 kg in weight, the maximum daily dose is 100 mg
per day in all indications.
For treating itching in adults
Atarax PIL UK 011
The starting dose is 25mg at night, your doctor may increase the dose up to
25mg three or four times daily.
Children and adolescents
For treating itching in children
In children up to 40 kg in weight, the maximum daily dose is 2 mg/kg/day.
Children aged 6 months to 6 years:
5mg to 15mg daily taken throughout the day, the doctor may change this
depending on the child’s weight.
Children over 6 years:
15mg to 25mg daily which your doctor may increase up to 50mg
•100mg daily, taken throughout the day. The doctor may change this depending on the child’s weight. For treating anxiety in adults The dose is 50mg to 100mg daily, taken throughout the day. For patients with liver disease Your doctor will reduce your dose by about one third if you have liver disease. Atarax is not suitable for patients with severe liver disease or liver failure For patients with kidney disease Your doctor will reduce your dose by about half if you have kidney disease. For elderly patients In the elderly, the maximum daily dose is 50 mg per day. If you take more Atarax than you should If you have used or taken too much Atarax, immediately contact your doctor or the nearest accident and emergency department, in particular if a child has taken too much. In the event of overdose, symptomatic treatment could be implemented. An ECG monitoring could be undertaken, because of the possibility of a heart rhythm problem such as QT interval prolongation or Torsade de Pointes. Symptoms of an overdose can vary and may include:
• slowing of your thoughts, slurred speech and experiencing restless, involuntary or slow movements
• dry mouth, problems with your vision, fast or pounding heart beat, difficulty passing water and constipation
• slowing down of your central nervous system, which can slow your breathing and heart rate, cause you to feel drowsy or become unconscious. Or, you Atarax PIL UK 011 may experience stimulation of your central nervous system, with feelings of excitement, fits, shaking and hallucinations. Atarax can cause considerable sedation that requires treatment. If any other medicines or substances have been taken at the same time as Atarax tell the medical staff carrying out the treatment of the overdose. If you forget to take Atarax If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as possible, unless it is almost time to take the next dose. Do not take a double dose. Then go on as before. If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
Do not worry. Like all medicines, Atarax can cause side effects, although not
everyone gets them. Atarax can cause the following side effects in some people:
If you get any of the following symptoms after taking Atarax, stop taking
the medicine and seek immediate medical attention:
• Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction such as;
•Swelling of the face, tongue or throat
•Difficulties in swallowing
•Hives and difficulties in breathing
• Severe reactions that can include blistering of the skin, eyes, mouth and genitals
• Tremor (shakiness) or convulsions (fits)
• if you experience any problems with the heart rhythm such as palpitations, trouble breathing or loss of consciousness. Other possible side effects of Atarax include:
• drowsiness, sedation, coma, slurred speech, slowing of thought processes and movements, involuntary movements, dizziness, faintness, headache, inability to concentrate, sleep disturbances, bitter taste in mouth
• confusion, hallucinations, disorientation, unusual mood changes
• bloodshot eyes, blurred vision and difficulty in focussing
• faster or pounding heart beat
• low blood pressure, flushing
• dryness of the nose, mouth or throat, wheezing
• liver problems (symptoms include jaundice)
• difficulty or pain when passing water, blood in urine Atarax PIL UK 011
• tiredness, general feeling of being unwell, fever, chills, muscle pain, chest tightness, achy joints
• porphyria (a rare illness which affects the metabolism), anorexia
• blood disorders
• skin rashes, swelling, itching, hives, eczema, increased sweating, hair loss, tingling, prickling, numbing of skin, pus-filled skin sores
• prolonged penile erection, impotence, early menstruation
• hearing, balance or coordination problems
• digestive system or stomach problems, feeling or being sick, diarrhoea, constipation
Reporting of side effects If you get any of the side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the internet at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Atarax
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children. Do not take Atarax after the expiry date which is stated on the carton after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. Do not store above 25ºC. Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist on how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantees
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.