Brand Name Choices
What Azopt is and what it is used for
AZOPT contains brinzolamide which belongs to a group of medicines called carbonic anhydrase inhibitors. It reduces pressure within the eye. AZOPT eye drops are used to treat high pressure in the eye. This pressure can lead to an illness called glaucoma. If the pressure in the eye is too high, it can damage your sight.
How to take Azopt
Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure. Only use AZOPT for your eyes. Do not swallow or inject. The recommended dose is 1 drop in the affected eye or eyes twice a day
•morning and night. Use this much unless your doctor told you to do something different. Only use AZOPT in both eyes if your doctor told you to. Take it for as long as your doctor told you to. 3 How to use 1 2 3
• Get the AZOPT bottle and a mirror
• Wash your hands
• Shake the bottle and twist off the cap. After the cap is removed, if the tamper evident snap collar is loose, remove before using product.
• Hold the bottle, pointing down, between your thumb and middle finger
• Tilt your head back. Pull down your eyelid with a clean finger, until there is a ‘pocket’ between the eyelid and your eye. The drop will go in here (picture 1)
• Bring the bottle tip close to the eye. Use the mirror if it helps
• Do not touch your eye or eyelid, surrounding areas or other surfaces with the dropper. It could infect the drops
• Gently press on the base of the bottle to release one drop of AZOPT at a time.
• Do not squeeze the bottle: it is designed so that a gentle press on the bottom is all that it needs (picture 2)
• After using AZOPT, press a finger to the corner of your eye, by the nose (picture 3) for at least 1 minute. This helps to stop AZOPT getting into the rest of the body.
• If you take drops in both eyes, repeat the steps for your other eye.
• Put the bottle cap back on firmly immediately after use
• Use up one bottle before opening the next bottle. If a drop misses your eye, try again. If you are using other eye drops, leave at least 5 minutes between putting in AZOPT and the other drops. Eye ointments should be administered last. If you use more AZOPT than you should If you get too much in your eyes, rinse it all out with warm water. Do not put in any more drops until it’s time for your next regular dose. If you forget to use AZOPT Use a single drop as soon as you remember, and then go back to your regular routine. Do not use a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose. If you stop using AZOPT If you stop using AZOPT without speaking to your doctor, the pressure in your eye will not be controlled which could lead to loss of sight.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everyone gets them.
The following side effects have been seen with AZOPT. 4
Common side effects (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
•Effects in the eye: blurred vision, eye irritation, eye pain, eye discharge, itchy eye, dry eye, abnormal eye sensation, redness of the eye.
•General side effects: bad taste.
Uncommon side effects (may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
•Effects in the eye: sensitivity to light, inflammation or infection of the conjunctiva, eye swelling, eyelid itching, redness or swelling, deposits in eye, glare, burning sensation, growth on surface of eye, increased pigmentation of the eye, tired eyes, eyelid crusting, or increased tear production.
•General side effects: decreased or reduced heart function, a forceful heartbeat that may be rapid or irregular, decreased heart rate, difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, cough, decreased red blood cell count in blood, increased chlorine level in blood, dizziness, difficulty with memory, depression, nervousness, decreased emotional interest, nightmare, generalized weakness, fatigue, feeling abnormal, pain, movement problems, decreased sex drive, male sexual difficulty, cold symptoms, chest congestion, sinus infection, throat irritation, throat pain, abnormal or decreased sensation in mouth, inflammation of the lining of the oesophagus, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, frequent bowel movements, diarrhoea, intestinal gas, digestive disorder, kidney pain, muscle pain, muscle spasms, back pain, nose bleeds, runny nose, stuffy nose, sneezing, rash, abnormal skin sensation, itching, smooth skin rash or redness covered by elevated bumps, skin tightness, headache, dry mouth, debris in eye.
Rare side effects (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people)
•Effects in the eye: corneal swelling, double or reduced vision, abnormal vision, flashes of light in the field of vision, decreased eye sensation, swelling around the eye, increased pressure in eye, damage to the optic nerve.
•General side effects: memory impairment, drowsiness, chest pain, upper respiratory tract congestion, sinus congestion, nasal congestion, dry nose, ringing in ears, hair loss, generalized itching, feeling jittery, irritability, irregular heart rate, body weakness, difficulty sleeping, wheezing, itchy skin rash.
Not known (frequency cannot be estimated from the available data):
•Effects in the eye: eyelid abnormality, visual disturbance, corneal disorder, eye allergy, decreased growth or number of eyelashes, eyelid redness.
•General side effects: increased allergic symptoms, decreased sensation, tremor, loss or decrease in taste, decreased blood pressure, increased blood pressure, increased heart rate, joint pain, asthma, pain in extremity, skin redness, inflammation, or itching, abnormal liver blood tests, swelling of the extremities, frequent urination, decreased appetite, feeling unwell.
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the national reporting system (see details below). By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Azopt
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children. Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the bottle and box after “EXP”. The expiry date refers to the last day of the month. This medicine does not require any special storage conditions. You must throw away a bottle four weeks after you first opened it, to prevent infections. Write down the date you opened each bottle in the space below and in the space on the bottle label and box. For a pack containing a single bottle, write only one date. Opened (1): Opened (2): Opened (3): Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.