Brand Name Choices
No generic medication is available for Dithrocream (Anthralin (Dithranol))
What Dithrocream is and what it is used for
Dithrocream is a treatment for careful application to
localised areas of your skin and scalp affected by a
particular type of psoriasis that doctors refer to as
sub-acute or chronic psoriasis.
• This type of psoriasis involves areas of raised, red patches of skin, covered with silvery scales (without any blistering or tenderness). The patches often occur on the elbows, knees, lower back and scalp.
• Dithrocream is recommended for use by adults, the elderly and children.
• The active ingredient in this product is dithranol. It helps to clear patches of psoriasis by restoring normal skin development.
• Dithrocream is available in five strengths that have colour coded packs, as follows: – 0.1%
•in a pale blue pack – 0.25%
•in a red pack – 0.5%
•in a purple pack – 1%
•in a brown pack – 2%
•in a yellow pack
How to take Dithrocream
Use Dithrocream only on patches of skin affected by
the particular type of psoriasis that it is recommended
for. Before using this tube for the first time, open it as
Unscrew the cap, turn it upside down and then use the
sharp point of the cap to pierce the membrane in the
neck of the tube.
To use the cream (for adults, the elderly and children):
Follow instructions a) to d) below carefully
otherwise the cream may cause skin burning and
a) Make sure that you start treatment with the
correct strength of Dithrocream:
• If you have not used Dithrocream before, or if you are about to use it on patches of psoriasis on areas of your body where you have not used it previously, always start treatment with the lowest strength of Dithrocream, 0.1% w/w. Use this strength for at least a week and then, only if recommended by your doctor or pharmacist, increase at weekly intervals to the 0.25% w/w, followed by the 0.5% w/w, the 1% w/w, and possibly the 2% w/w strength.
• The aim is to start with the lowest strength and build up gradually over approximately 4 weeks to the highest, optimum strength that does not cause excessive sensation of skin warmth.
• This optimum strength differs for each of us, and may also depend upon the thickness and location of your psoriatic patches. Your doctor should help you decide which strength is best for your particular circumstances. b) Make sure that you always apply Dithrocream carefully as follows:
• Apply it thinly and only to the patches of psoriasis.
• Rub the cream gently into the psoriasis patches until completely absorbed, otherwise any excess cream may spread onto normal skin areas (where the skin reaction is much stronger), or spread onto clothing or bedding, causing staining.
• Always wash your hands immediately after use c) Make sure that you apply the cream only once a day, and always limit the ‘contact’ time with your skin, using one of the following methods to stop it working for too long: either use ‘short contact treatment’, in which case:
• apply the cream at any convenient time of the day or evening;
• start with a contact time of 10 minutes, then;
• bathe or shower to wash the cream off;
• and over the following days, gradually increase the contact time to no more than one hour, washing off the cream as previously. or after you have gradually built up the contact time as described above, use ‘overnight treatment’, in which case:
• apply the cream at night before going to bed, then;
• the following morning, bathe or shower to wash the cream off. Because using it ‘overnight’ involves a longer contact time, this option is only advised when using Dithrocream 0.1%, Dithrocream 0.25% or Dithrocream 0.5%. Always make sure you start treatment with the correct strength of Dithrocream (see Section 3a). d) For use on scalp psoriasis:
• Before use on the scalp, carefully read the section below, with the subheading “If the cream or rinse gets into your eyes, nose or mouth...”
• First comb the hair to remove any loose scales, then, after suitably parting the hair, massage the cream well into the affected areas.
• Use it only once a day, and stop the cream working after the required contact time on the scalp by shampooing the hair as normal (use either the ‘short contact’ or ‘overnight’ method, as described under section 3c above).
• Take great care when washing out the shampoo (which may contain some Dithrocream residue) to avoid getting it into the eyes or on the face. This is particularly important when using the higher strengths of Dithrocream. To avoid unnecessary staining to clothing and bed linen etc, you could wear an old pair of pyjamas and / or dressing gown and, when treating the scalp, use an old pillowcase. Carry on using Dithrocream for long enough:
• Continue this daily treatment, using the highest strength of Dithrocream that does not cause excessive sensation of skin warmth, until your skin is completely better, ie when there is nothing to feel with the fingers and the skin texture is normal.
• By gradually increasing the strength of Dithrocream applied, it should be possible to clear psoriasis patches within 4 to 6 weeks. If the cream or rinse gets into your eyes, nose or mouth (e.g. when shampooing or washing it off), it may be strongly irritant. If this happens, rinse the affected areas with plenty of water for several minutes. In the case of any eye contamination, take care not to wash the rinse from one eye to the other eye. We recommend that you then go without undue delay to a Hospital Accident & Emergency department for further assessment and possibly more thorough eye irrigation. If the cream accidentally gets onto normal skin, wipe it off straight away with a tissue, and wash the area with soap and warm water. If the cream is accidentally swallowed, go to a hospital Accident & Emergency department straight away because it is a strong laxative and you may need a stomach washout. If you use too high a strength or leave it in contact with your skin for too long, it may cause skin burning and excessive soreness, in which case the dosage should be reviewed by your doctor. If you occasionally forget to use this product, do not worry. Just carry on using it when you remember. If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist. Look after your bath or shower to prevent the possibility of staining, particularly where Dithrocream 1% or 2% has been used. Always rinse the bath or shower with hot water immediately after washing or showering, and then use a suitable detergent to remove any deposit from the surface of the bath or shower. Wear protective gloves to avoid irritating your hands.
Possible side effects
While Dithrocream is working, some skin redness and
a feeling of mild ‘sunburn’ at the site of application is
quite normal, indicating that it is working. If excessive
burning or soreness occurs, this usually means that
the strength being used is too high or that the cream
is being left in contact with the skin for too long. If this
happens, treatment should be stopped at once and
the dosage reviewed by your doctor. Your doctor
may advise you to use a lower strength, to apply it
for shorter contact periods or to apply it less often.
Like all medicines, Dithrocream can cause other side
effects, although not everybody gets them:
• If you mistakenly allow the cream to spread onto, and remain in contact with, areas of normal skin (see precautions in section 3b), it is more likely to cause burning and soreness.
• Temporary staining of the skin or hair can occur. However, this will gradually go away after treatment has stopped.
• On very rare occasions allergic reactions to the ingredients can occur. These may result in local skin inflammation, itching and redness, in which case treatment with Dithrocream should be stopped. Any staining caused by getting the cream on your clothes, bed linen, fabrics, plastics or other materials is likely to be permanent.
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly (see details below). By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine. United Kingdom Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard Ireland HPRA Pharmacovigilance, Earlsfort Terrace, IRL - Dublin 2; Tel: +353 1 6764971; Fax: +353 1 6762517. Website: www.hpra.ie; E-mail: [email protected]
How to Store Dithrocream
Keep it out of the reach and sight of children.
• Always replace the cap tightly after use.
• Do not store the product above 25°C.
• Do not use after the expiry date shown on the fold of the tube and the carton. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.