Brand Name Choices
What Fosamax is and what it is used for
FOSAMAX is a tablet containing the active substance alendronic acid (commonly called alendronate) and belongs to a group of non-hormonal medicines called bisphosphonates. FOSAMAX prevents the loss of bone that occurs in women after they have been through the menopause, and helps to rebuild bone. It reduces the risk of spine and hip fractures. What is FOSAMAX used for? Your doctor has prescribed FOSAMAX to treat your osteoporosis. It reduces the risk of spine and hip fractures.
How to take Fosamax
Always take FOSAMAX exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor
or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Take one FOSAMAX tablet once a week.
Follow these instructions carefully.
1) Choose the day of the week that best fits your schedule. Every week, take one FOSAMAX
tablet on your chosen day.
It is very important to follow instructions 2), 3), 4) and 5) to help the FOSAMAX tablet reach your
stomach quickly and help reduce the chance of irritating your gullet (oesophagus
•the tube that connects your mouth with your stomach) 2) After getting up for the day and before taking any food, drink, or other medicine, swallow your FOSAMAX tablet whole with a full glass of water only (not mineral water) (not less than 200 ml), so that FOSAMAX is adequately absorbed.
• Do not take with mineral water (still or sparkling).
• Do not take with coffee or tea.
• Do not take with juice or milk. Do not crush or chew the tablet or allow it to dissolve in your mouth because of the possibility of mouth ulceration. 3) Do not lie down — stay fully upright (sitting, standing or walking) — for at least 30 minutes after swallowing the tablet. Do not lie down until after your first food of the day. 4) Do not take FOSAMAX at bedtime or before getting up for the day. 5) If you develop difficulty or pain upon swallowing, chest pain, or new or worsening heartburn, stop taking FOSAMAX and contact your doctor. 6) After swallowing your FOSAMAX tablet, wait at least 30 minutes before taking your first food, drink, or other medicine of the day, including antacids, calcium supplements and vitamins. FOSAMAX is effective only if taken when your stomach is empty.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
See your doctor immediately if you notice any of the following side effects, which may be serious,
and for which you may need urgent medical treatment:
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people):
• heartburn; difficulty swallowing; pain upon swallowing; ulceration of the gullet (oesophagus – the tube that connects your mouth with your stomach) which can cause chest pain, heartburn or difficulty or pain upon swallowing.
Rare (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people):
• allergic reactions such as hives; swelling of the face, lips, tongue and/or throat, possibly causing difficulty breathing or swallowing; severe skin reactions,
• pain in the mouth, and/or jaw, swelling or sores inside the mouth, numbness or a feeling of heaviness in the jaw, or loosening of a tooth. These could be signs of bone damage in the jaw (osteonecrosis) generally associated with delayed healing and infection, often following tooth extraction. Contact your doctor and dentist if you experience such symptoms,unusual fracture of the thigh bone particularly in patients on long-term treatment for osteoporosis may occur rarely. Contact your doctor if you experience pain, weakness or discomfort in your thigh, hip or groin as this may be an early indication of a possible fracture of the thigh bone.
• bone, muscle and/or joint pain which is severe.
How to Store Fosamax
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children. Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and the blister after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. This medicine does not require any special storage conditions. Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantees
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.