(Sitagliptin Phosphate/Metformin Hydrochloride)
Brand Name Choices
No generic medication is available for Janumet (Sitagliptin Phosphate/Metformin Hydrochloride)
What Janumet is and what it is used for
Janumet contains two different medicines called sitagliptin and metformin.
• sitagliptin belongs to a class of medicines called DPP-4 inhibitors (dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors)
• metformin belongs to a class of medicines called biguanides. They work together to control blood sugar levels in adult patients with a form of diabetes called ‘type 2 diabetes mellitus’. This medicine helps to increase the levels of insulin produced after a meal and lowers the amount of sugar made by your body. Along with diet and exercise, this medicine helps lower your blood sugar. This medicine can be used alone or with certain other medicines for diabetes (insulin, sulphonylureas, or glitazones). What is type 2 diabetes? Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which your body does not make enough insulin, and the insulin that your body produces does not work as well as it should. Your body can also make too much sugar. When this happens, sugar (glucose) builds up in the blood. This can lead to serious medical problems like heart disease, kidney disease, blindness, and amputation.
How to take Janumet
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist
if you are not sure.
• Take one tablet:
• twice daily by mouth
• with meals to lower your chance of an upset stomach.
• Your doctor may need to increase your dose to control your blood sugar.
• If you have reduced kidney function, your doctor may prescribe a lower dose. You should continue the diet recommended by your doctor during treatment with this medicine and take care that your carbohydrate intake is equally distributed over the day. This medicine alone is unlikely to cause abnormally low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia). When this medicine is used with a sulphonylurea medicine or with insulin, low blood sugar can occur and your doctor may reduce the dose of your sulphonylurea or insulin. If you take more Janumet than you should If you take more than the prescribed dosage of this medicine, contact your doctor immediately. Go to the hospital if you have symptoms of lactic acidosis such as feeling cold or uncomfortable, severe nausea or vomiting, stomach ache, unexplained weight loss, muscular cramps, or rapid breathing (see section “Warnings and precautions”). If you forget to take Janumet If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If you do not remember until it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose of this medicine. If you stop taking Janumet Continue to take this medicine as long as your doctor prescribes it so you can continue to help control your blood sugar. You should not stop taking this medicine without talking to your doctor first. If you stop taking Janumet, your blood sugar may rise again. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
STOP taking Janumet and contact a doctor immediately if you notice any of the following serious side
• Severe and persistent pain in the abdomen (stomach area) which might reach through to your back with or without nausea and vomiting, as these could be signs of an inflamed pancreas (pancreatitis). Janumet may cause a very rare (may affect up to 1 in 10,000 people), but very serious side effect called lactic acidosis (see section “Warnings and precautions”). If this happens, you must stop taking Janumet and contact a doctor or the nearest hospital immediately, as lactic acidosis may lead to coma. If you have a serious allergic reaction (frequency not known), including rash, hives, blisters on the skin/peeling skin and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, and throat that may cause difficulty in breathing or swallowing, stop taking this medicine and call your doctor right away. Your doctor may prescribe a medicine to treat your allergic reaction and a different medicine for your diabetes. Some patients taking metformin have experienced the following side effects after starting sitagliptin:
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people): low blood sugar, nausea, flatulence, vomiting
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people): stomach ache, diarrhoea, constipation, drowsiness Some patients have experienced diarrhoea, nausea, flatulence, constipation, stomach ache or vomiting when starting the combination of sitagliptin and metformin together (frequency is common). Some patients have experienced the following side effects while taking this medicine with a sulphonylurea such as glimepiride:
Very common (may affect more than 1 in 10 people): low blood sugar
Common: constipation Some patients have experienced the following side effects while taking this medicine in combination with pioglitazone:
Common: swelling of the hands or legs Some patients have experienced the following side effects while taking this medicine in combination with insulin:
Very common: low blood sugar
Uncommon: dry mouth, headache Some patients have experienced the following side effects during clinical studies while taking sitagliptin alone (one of the medicines in Janumet) or during post-approval use of Janumet or sitagliptin alone or with other diabetes medicines:
Common: low blood sugar, headache, upper respiratory infection, stuffy or runny nose and sore throat, osteoarthritis, arm or leg pain
Uncommon: dizziness, constipation, itching
Rare: reduced number of platelets Frequency not known: kidney problems (sometimes requiring dialysis), vomiting, joint pain, muscle pain, back pain, interstitial lung disease, bullous pemphigoid (a type of skin blister) Some patients have experienced the following side effects while taking metformin alone:
Very common: nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach ache and loss of appetite. These symptoms may happen when you start taking metformin and usually go away
Common: a metallic taste
Very rare: decreased vitamin B12 levels, hepatitis (a problem with your liver), hives, redness of the skin (rash) or itching
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store. By reporting side effects, you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Janumet
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children. Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the blister and the carton after 'EXP'. The expiry date refers to the last day of the month. Do not store above 30°C. Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.