Brand Name Choices
No generic medication is available for Jardiance (Empagliflozin)
What Jardiance is and what it is used for
Jardiance contains the active substance
empagliflozin which works by blocking a
protein in the kidneys called sodium‑glucose
co‑transporter 2 (SGLT2). SGLT2 prevents
glucose from being excreted in urine by
absorbing glucose into the bloodstream as
blood is being filtered in the kidneys. By blocking this protein, the medicine causes
glucose (blood sugar), sodium (salt) and
water to be removed via the urine. Blood
glucose levels, which are too high because of
your type 2 diabetes, are thereby reduced.
This medicine can also help prevent heart
• Jardiance is used to treat type 2 diabetes in adult patients (aged 18 years and older) that cannot be controlled by diet and exercise alone.
• Jardiance can be used without other medicines in patients who cannot take metformin (another diabetes medicine).
• Jardiance can also be used with other medicines for the treatment of diabetes. These may be medicines taken by mouth or given by injection such as insulin. It is important that you continue with your diet and exercise plan as told by your doctor, pharmacist or nurse.
How to take Jardiance
Always take this medicine exactly as your
doctor has told you. Check with your doctor
or pharmacist if you are not sure.
How much to take
• The starting dose of Jardiance is one 10 mg tablet once a day. Your doctor will decide whether to increase your dose to 25 mg once a day.
• Your doctor may limit your dose to 10 mg once a day if you have a kidney problem.
• Your doctor will prescribe the strength that is right for you. Do not change your dose unless your doctor has told you to. Taking this medicine
• Swallow the tablet whole with water
• You can take the tablet with or without food
• You can take the tablet at any time of the day. However, try to take it at the same time each day. This will help you to remember to take it. Your doctor may prescribe Jardiance together with another diabetes medicine. Remember to take all medicines as directed by your doctor to achieve the best results for your health. Diet and exercise can help your body use its blood sugar better. It is important to stay on the diet and exercise program recommended by your doctor while taking Jardiance. If you take more Jardiance than you should If you take more Jardiance than you should, talk to a doctor immediately or go to a hospital immediately. Take the medicine pack with you. If you forget to take Jardiance What to do if you forget to take a tablet depends on how long it is until your next dose.
• If it is 12 hours or more until your next dose, take Jardiance as soon as you remember. Then take your next dose at the usual time.
• If it is less than 12 hours until your next dose, skip the missed dose. Then take your next dose at the usual time.
• Do not take a double dose of Jardiance to make up for a forgotten dose. If you stop taking Jardiance Do not stop taking Jardiance without first consulting your doctor. Your blood sugar levels may increase when you stop taking Jardiance. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor, pharmacist or nurse.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause
side effects, although not everybody gets
Contact a doctor or the nearest hospital
straight away if you have any of the
following side effects:
Diabetic ketoacidosis, seen rarely (may
affect up to 1 in 1,000 people)
These are the signs of diabetic ketoacidosis
(see also section 2, ‘Warnings and
• increased levels of “ketone bodies” in your urine or blood
• rapid weight loss
• feeling sick or being sick
• stomach pain
• excessive thirst
• fast and deep breathing
• unusual sleepiness or tiredness
• a sweet smell to your breath, a sweet or metallic taste in your mouth or a different odour to your urine or sweat. This may occur regardless of blood glucose level. Your doctor may decide to temporarily or permanently stop your treatment with Jardiance. Contact your doctor as soon as possible if you notice the following side effects: Low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia), seen very commonly (may affect more than 1 in 10 people) If you take Jardiance with another medicine that can cause low blood sugar, such as a sulfonylurea or insulin, your risk of getting low blood sugar is higher. The signs of low blood sugar may include:
• shaking, sweating, feeling very anxious or confused, fast heart beat
• excessive hunger, headache Your doctor will tell you how to treat low blood sugar levels and what to do if you get any of the signs above. If you have symptoms of low blood sugar, eat glucose tablets, a high sugar snack or drink fruit juice. Measure your blood sugar if possible and rest Urinary tract infection, seen commonly (may affect up to 1 in 10 people) The signs of urinary tract infection are:
• burning sensation when passing urine
• urine that appears cloudy
• pain in the pelvis, or mid‑back pain (when kidneys are infected) An urge to pass urine or more frequent urination may be due to the way Jardiance works, but they can also be signs of urinary tract infection. If you note an increase in such symptoms, you should also contact your doctor. Dehydration, seen uncommonly (may affect up to 1 in 100 people) The signs of dehydration are not specific, but may include:
• unusual thirst
• lightheadedness or dizziness upon standing
• fainting or loss of consciousness
Other side effects while taking Jardiance:
• genital yeast infection (thrush)
• passing more urine than usual or needing to pass urine more often
• rash or red skin – this may be itchy and include raised bumps, oozing fluid or blisters
• blood tests may show changes in blood fat (cholesterol) levels in your blood
• straining or pain when emptying the bladder
• blood tests may show changes related to kidney function (creatinine or urea)
• blood tests may show increases in the amount of red blood cells in your blood (haematocrit)
• severe allergic reaction (may include swelling of the face, lips, mouth, tongue, or throat that may lead to difficulty breathing or swallowing)
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly (see details below). By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine. United Kingdom Yellow Card Scheme Website: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store Ireland HPRA Pharmacovigilance Earlsfort Terrace IRL – Dublin 2 Tel: +353 1 6764971 Fax: +353 1 6762517 Website: www.hpra.ie e-mail: [email protected] Malta ADR Reporting Website: www.medicinesauthority.gov.mt/ adrportal
How to Store Jardiance
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children. Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the blister and the carton after ‘EXP’. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. This medicine does not require any special storage conditions. Do not use this medicine if you notice that the packaging is damaged or shows signs of tampering. Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.