Brand Name Choices
No generic medication is available for Neupro (Rotigotine)
What Neupro is and what it is used for
What Neupro is
Neupro contains the active substance rotigotine.
It belongs to a group of medicines called ‘dopamine agonists’. Dopamine is a messenger in the brain
which is important for movement.
What Neupro is used for
Neupro is used in adults to treat the signs and symptoms of:
• Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) – this can be associated with discomfort in your legs or arms, urges to move around, sleep disturbance and feeling tired or sleepy during the day. These symptoms are either reduced or their duration is shortened with Neupro treatment.
How to take Neupro
Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor
or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Which strength patches to use
Neupro is available in different strength patches which release the medicine over 24 hours. The
strengths are 1 mg/24 h, 2 mg/24 h and 3 mg/24 h for the treatment of Restless Leg Syndrome.
• Your starting dose will be one, 1 mg/24 h patch each day.
• From the second week, your daily dose may be increased by 1 mg each week until you get to the right maintenance dose for you. This is when you and your doctor agree that the symptoms are being controlled well enough and the side effects of the medicines are acceptable.
• Please follow the instructions of the prescriber carefully.
• The maximum dose is 3 mg per day. If you have to stop taking this medicine, see ‘If you stop using Neupro’ in section 3. How to use the Neupro patches Neupro is a patch that is put on the skin.
• Make sure that you take the old patch off before putting on a new one.
• Stick the new patch on a different area of the skin each day.
• Leave the patch on your skin for 24 hours, then take it off and put on a new one.
• Change the patches at about the same time every day.
• Do not cut the Neupro patches into pieces. Where to stick the patch Put the sticky side of the patch onto clean, dry, healthy skin on the following areas as shown in grey on the pictures opposite:
• Shoulder or upper arm.
• Flank (your side, between the ribs and hips).
• Thigh or hip. To avoid skin irritation
• Stick the patch onto a different area of skin each day. For example, put it on the right side of your body one day, then on the left side of your body the next day. Or on your upper body one day, then on your lower body the day after that.
• Do not stick Neupro on the same area of skin twice within 14 days.
• Do not stick the patch on broken or damaged skin – or on skin that is red or irritated. If you still get problems with your skin because of the patch, please see ‘Skin problems caused by the patch’ in section 4 for more information. To prevent the patch becoming loose or falling off
• Do not put the patch in an area where it can be rubbed by tight clothing.
• Do not use creams, oils, lotions, powders or other skin products where you will put the patch. Also do not use them on or near a patch you are already wearing.
• If you need to stick the patch to a hairy area of skin, you must shave the area at least 3 days before sticking the patch there.
• If the edges of the patch lift, the patch may be taped down with adhesive medical tape. If the patch falls off, put on a new patch for the rest of the day – then replace the patch at the usual time.
• Do not let the area of the patch get hot – for example too much sunlight, saunas, hot baths, heating pads or hot-water bottles. This is because the medicine may be released faster. If you think that too much heat has been applied, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
• Always check that the patch has not fallen off after activities such as bathing, showering or exercising.
• If the patch has irritated your skin, keep that area protected from direct sunlight. This is because it may change the colour of the skin. How to use the patch
• Each patch is packed in a separate sachet.
• Before opening the sachet decide where you are going to stick this new patch and check you have removed any old patch.
• Stick the Neupro patch onto your skin as soon as you have opened the sachet and removed the release liner. 1. To open the sachet, hold the sachet in both hands. 2. Peel apart the foil. 3. Open the sachet. 4. Take the patch out of the sachet. 5. The sticky side of the patch is covered by a transparent release liner.
• Hold the patch in both hands with the release liner facing you. 6.
• Bend the patch in half. This makes the S-shaped break in the liner open up. 7.
• Peel off one side of the release liner.
• Do not touch the sticky side of the patch with your fingers. 8.
• Hold the other half of the rigid release liner.
• Then put the sticky half of the patch onto your skin.
• Press the sticky side of the patch firmly into place. 9. Fold back the other half of the patch and remove the other side of the release liner. 10.
• Press the patch down firmly with the palm of your hand.
• Keep it pressed for about 30 seconds. This makes sure the patch is touching the skin and the edges stick down well. 11. Wash your hands with soap and water straight after handling the patch. How to take off a used patch
• Slowly and carefully peel off the used patch.
• Gently wash the area with warm water and mild soap. This will remove any stickiness that stays on your skin. You can also use a little baby oil to remove any stickiness that will not wash off.
• Do not use alcohol or other dissolving liquids – such as nail polish remover. These may irritate your skin. If you use more Neupro than you should Using higher doses of Neupro than your doctor has prescribed may cause side effects such as feeling sick (nausea) or vomiting, low blood pressure, seeing or hearing things that are not real (hallucinations), feeling confused, very sleepy, having involuntary movements and convulsions. In such cases, contact your doctor or hospital straight away. They will tell you what to do. If you forget to change the patch at your usual time
• If you have forgotten to change the patch at your usual time, change it as soon as you remember. Take off the old patch and use a new one.
• If you have forgotten to stick on a new patch after removing the old one, use a new patch as soon as you remember. In both cases, use a new patch at the usual time on the following day. Do not use a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose. If you stop using Neupro Do not stop using Neupro without talking to your doctor. A sudden stop could lead to a medical condition called ‘neuroleptic malignant syndrome’ which could be life-threatening. The signs include: loss of muscle movement (akinesia), rigid muscles, fever, unstable blood pressure, increased heart rate (tachycardia), confusion, low level of consciousness (such as a coma). If your doctor says you should stop Neupro, the daily dose should be lowered gradually:
• Restless Legs Syndrome – lowered by 1 mg every other day. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Tell your
doctor or pharmacist if you notice any side effects.
Side effects more likely at the start of treatment
You may feel sick (nausea) and vomit at the start of treatment. These effects are usually mild or
moderate and only last for a short time. Talk to your doctor if they last for a long time or if you are
worried about them.
Skin problems caused by the patch
• You may get redness and itching on the skin where the patch has been – these reactions are usually mild or moderate.
• The reactions normally go away after a few hours – once you remove the patch.
• Talk to your doctor if you have a skin reaction that lasts longer than a few days or is severe. Also do this if it spreads outside the area of skin that was covered by the patch.
• Avoid sunlight and solarium exposure on areas of skin showing any kind of skin reaction caused by the patch.
• To help avoid the skin reactions, you should put the patch on a different area of skin every day, and only use the same area again after 14 days. Loss of consciousness can occur Neupro can cause loss of consciousness. This can happen especially when you start using Neupro or when your dose is increased. Tell your doctor if you lose consciousness or feel dizzy. Changes in behaviour and abnormal thinking Tell your doctor if you notice any changes in behaviour, thinking or both, that are listed below. They will discuss ways of managing or reducing symptoms. You may find it helpful to also tell a member of your family or carer that you are using this medicine and ask them to read this leaflet. This is so that your family or carer can tell you, or your doctor, if they are worried about any changes in your behaviour. Neupro can cause unusual urges or cravings which you cannot resist such as the impulse, drive or temptation to do things that could harm yourself or others. These may include:
• strong impulse to gamble too much – even if this seriously affects you or your family
• altered or increased sexual interest and behaviour which causes significant concern to you or others – for example, an increased sex drive
• uncontrolled shopping or spending too much
• binge eating (eating large amounts of food in a short period of time) or compulsive eating (eating more food than normal and more than is needed to satisfy your hunger). Neupro may cause other behaviours and abnormal thinking. These may include:
• abnormal thoughts about reality
• delusions and hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not real)
• aggressive behaviour
• delirium. Tell your doctor if you notice any changes in behaviour, thinking or both that are listed above. They will discuss ways of managing or reducing symptoms. Allergic reactions Contact your doctor if you notice signs of an allergic reaction – these can include swelling of the face, tongue or lips. Side effects when using Neupro for Restless Legs Syndrome Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you get any of the following side effects:
Very common: may affect more than 1 in 10 people
• feeling sick (nausea)
• feeling weak (fatigue)
• skin irritations under the patch such as redness and itching
Common: may affect up to 1 in 10 people
• feeling irritable
• allergic reaction
• increased sex drive
• high blood pressure
• vomiting, heartburn
• swelling of legs and feet
• feeling sleepy, falling asleep suddenly without warning, difficulty in sleeping, sleep problems, having unusual dreams
• unable to resist the impulse to perform an action that is harmful involving excessive gambling, repetitive meaningless actions, uncontrolled shopping or spending too much
• binge eating (eating large amount of food in a short period of time) or compulsive eating (eating more food than normal and more than needed to satisfy hunger)
Uncommon: may affect up to 1 in 100 people
• feeling agitated
• feeling dizzy when standing up because of a fall in blood pressure
Rare: may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people
• being aggressive
Not known: it is not known how often these happen
• craving large doses of medicines like Neupro – more than needed for the illness. This is known as ‘dopamine dysregulation syndrome’ and can lead to use of too much Neupro
• seeing or hearing things that are not real (hallucinations)
• psychotic disorders
• feeling dizzy
• loss of consciousness, involuntary movements (dyskinesia)
• involuntary muscle spasms (convulsion)
• blurry vision
• visual disturbances such as seeing colours or lights
• vertigo (sensation of whirling motion)
• feeling of heartbeat (palpitation)
• abnormal heart rhythm
• low blood pressure
• constipation, dry mouth
• stomach discomfort and pain
• redness, increased sweating
• generalised itching, skin irritation
• generalised rash
• unable to achieve or maintain an erection
• weight loss, weight increase
• increased or abnormal liver function test results
• increased heart rate
• increased levels of creatine phosphokinase (CPK) in blood in Japanese patients (CPK is an enzyme found mainly in skeletal muscles)
• falling. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you notice any of the side effects listed above.
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via Yellow Card Scheme Website: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Neupro
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the label and box.
Do not store above 30°C.
What to do with the used and unused patches
• Used patches still contain the active substance ‘rotigotine’, which may be harmful to others. Fold the used patch with the sticky side inwards. Put the patch in the original sachet and then throw it away safely, out of the reach of children.
• Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.