Niquitin Mini Lozenges
Brand Name Choices
No generic medication is available for Niquitin Mini Lozenges (Nicotine)
What Niquitin Mini Lozenges is and what it is used for
NiQuitin Minis are used to help people stop smoking. They work by replacing some of the nicotine you get from cigarettes. This type of treatment is called Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT). The nicotine in cigarettes makes them addictive, but other substances in cigarette smoke, such as tar, carbon dioxide and other toxins, are more harmful to your health. NRT products like NiQuitin Minis do not have the health dangers of tobacco. The nicotine from NRT reduces your cravings for cigarettes and helps you resist the urge to smoke. It also relieves some of the unpleasant symptoms (like feeling ill or irritable) that smokers have when they try to give up. NiQuitin Minis can be used to help you:
• stop smoking straightaway (a quit attempt).
• cut down on smoking, perhaps before you go on to stop completely (reducing to quit or just reducing). In addition, NiQuitin Minis can be used when you:
• do not wish to smoke or are unable to smoke, for example in confined spaces (in the car, in the house), where others (such as children) could be harmed by tobacco smoke or in places where smoking is prohibited (temporary abstinence).
• develop cravings once you have stopped smoking. Reducing the number of cigarettes smoked can increase the chances that you will go on to quit completely. NiQuitin Minis can be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding (see Pregnancy and breast-feeding below). Some people worry that, when they have stopped smoking, they may become dependent on NRT instead. This is very rare, and if it were to happen it is still safer than continuing to smoke. It is also an easier habit to break. It is always better to stop smoking completely. Smoking is harmful and has no health benefits. NRT products like NiQuitin Minis can help you stop. Any risks or possible side-effects of nicotine from NRT are much less than the proven dangers of continuing to smoke. Your chance of stopping smoking will be improved if you also take part in a support programme. These ‘Stop Smoking’ programmes are known as behavioural support. For more information:
• call the NHS Free Smoking Helpline on 0800 022 4332, or visit https://www.smokefree.nhs.uk [or the Irish National Smokers Quitline on 1850 201 203]
• or visit https://www.niquitin.co.uk for information about a free online support plan. 2. Check before you use NiQuiti
How to take Niquitin Mini Lozenges
Adults and young people aged 12 years and over Instructions for use of NiQuitin Minis depend on whether you are:
• stopping smoking straightaway.
• cutting down on smoking before you stop.
• cutting down with no immediate plans to stop.
• going without cigarettes for a short time. or if you have cravings after you have stopped smoking. If you are under 18 years old and not ready to stop smoking straightaway, talk to a healthcare professional for advice. In all cases:
• NiQuitin Minis Mint 4 mg Lozenges are for smokers who smoke more than 20 cigarettes a day.
• NiQuitin Minis Mint 1.5 mg Lozenges are for smokers who smoke fewer than 20 cigarettes a day.
• You should put one lozenge in your mouth and periodically move it from one side of your mouth to the other, until it has completely dissolved. This should take around 10 minutes.
• Do not chew the lozenge or swallow it whole.
• Do not use more than 15 lozenges a day. Stopping smoking straightaway Adults and young people aged 12 years and over: It is important to make every effort to stop smoking completely. But if you do sometimes smoke a cigarette while using NRT, don’t be discouraged — just keep going with your quit attempt. It may help to talk to a healthcare professional if you are finding your quit attempt difficult.
• Start by using 8 – 12 lozenges a day. Suck a lozenge when ever you have an urge to smoke.
• Use the lozenges like this for up to 6 weeks, then gradually cut down the number of lozenges you use a day.
• Once you are using only 1 – 2 lozenges a day, try to stop using them altogether. To increase your chances of success follow a stop smoking behavioural support programme – see the end of Section 1 for more details. Cutting down on smoking before you stop Adults aged 18 years and over: You may find it easier to quit completely later if you use NiQuitin Minis to help you cut down on smoking first. When you feel a strong urge to smoke, have a lozenge instead of a cigarette to help you manage your cravings. Cut down the number of cigarettes you smoke per day by as many as possible. If you have not been able to cut down the number of cigarettes you smoke each day after 6 weeks, talk to a healthcare professional. As soon as you feel ready to stop smoking completely, follow the instructions above, under ‘Stopping smoking straightaway’. If you have not felt able to make a quit attempt within 6 months of starting to use NRT, you may find it helpful to talk to a healthcare professional. Cutting down with no immediate plans to stop Adults aged 18 years and over: It is always best to stop smoking completely, but using NRT to cut down is less harmful than continuing to smoke heavily. Cutting down the number of cigarettes you smoke each day will make it easier to quit completely in the future. When you feel an urge to smoke, have a lozenge instead of a cigarette to help you manage your cravings. Cut down the number of cigarettes you smoke per day by as many as possible. It is best to stop smoking completely as soon as you feel able to. Follow the instructions above, under ‘Stopping smoking straightaway’. Going without cigarettes for a short time Adults aged 18 years and over: NiQuitin Minis can help you manage your cravings so that you can resist cigarettes in situations where smoking is inappropriate, for example:
• where your second-hand smoke may damage other people, such as children.
• where smoking is not allowed, such as on a flight or in a hospital.
• when smoking should be avoided, such as before surgery. When you feel an urge to smoke, have a lozenge instead of a cigarette to help you manage your cravings. Continue to use one lozenge every 1 – 2 hours (maximum 15 a day) during the period when you are avoiding smoking. It is best to stop smoking completely as soon as you feel able to. Follow the instructions above, under ‘Stopping smoking straightaway’. Once you have stopped smoking… After you have stopped smoking, you may still sometimes feel a craving for a cigarette. You can use NiQuitin Minis again to help you relieve these cravings
•using NRT is always better than smoking again. If you are worried that you may start smoking again, talk to a healthcare professional. They can advise you on how to get the best results from further courses of NRT. If you are finding it difficult to stop using NRT completely, talk to a healthcare professional. If you use more NiQuitin Minis than you should If a child has used or eaten any of the lozenges, contact your doctor or hospital emergency department immediately. If possible, show them the NiQuitin Minis packet or this leaflet. Symptoms of nicotine overdose in children include headache, sickness, stomach pain and diarrhoea. If you take too many lozenges, you may start to feel sick, dizzy and unwell. Stop using the lozenges and contact your doctor or hospital emergency department immediately
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, the nicotine in NRT products can have side-effects. They are similar to those you might get from the nicotine in cigarettes, and are more likely the more nicotine you take, but not everybody gets them. At the recommended doses NiQuitin Minis have not been found to cause any serious side-effects. Stopping smoking itself can cause some symptoms such as dizziness, headache, sleep disturbance, cough and cold-like symptoms. Symptoms such as depression, irritability, anxiety, restlessness, increased appetite and insomnia may also be related to withdrawal symptoms associated with giving up smoking. Other side-effects are listed below – they are grouped based on the likelihood with which they can occur.
Very common (affects more than 1 in 10 people)
• The lozenges may cause your mouth or tongue to be slightly sore or irritated. You may also feel sick.
Common (affects between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people)
• Sore throat
• Being sick
• Stomach discomfort
• Hiccups Less common side-effects (affects between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1000 people)
• Palpitations (feeling your heartbeat)
• Increased heartbeat
• Chest pain
• Tiredness and generally feeling unwell
Very rare (affects less than 1 in 10,000 people)
• Severe allergic reaction, symptoms of which include sudden wheeziness or tightness of the chest, rash and feeling faint. If you experience seizures (fits), stop taking this medicine. If any of the side-effects get serious, or if you notice any side-effects not listed in this leaflet, tell a healthcare professional.
How to Store Niquitin Mini Lozenges
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
• Do not use this medicine after the ‘EXP’ date shown on the container and outer packaging. The expiry date refers to the last day of the month.
• Keep all lozenges in the original container in order to protect from moisture.
• Do not store above 30°C.
• Do not use the container for anything else due to possible fine coating of tablet dust inside.
• Dispose of the container responsibly. Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.