Brand Name Choices
No generic medication is available for Pentasa (Mesalamine ER)
What Pentasa is and what it is used for
The name of this medicine is Pentasa Mesalazine Enema in the form of a suspension. Each bottle contains mesalazine 1g in100ml of liquid as the active ingredient. Mesalazine belongs to a group of medicines called salicylates. Pentasa is used to treat inflammation in the gut caused by conditions such as active ulcerative colitis where it is affecting the last part of the colon and rectum (back passage). The enema releases the active ingredient which then acts locally to reduce the inflammation and help relieve or stop the pain.
How to take Pentasa
For Adult use only, not recommended in children. Always use Pentasa exactly as your doctor has told you. You should check with your doctor or phamacist if you are not sure. The enema should be used in the back passage (rectum) only. Usually your doctor will ask you to use one enema at bedtime. Immediately before use take the enema bottle out of the aluminium foil pack and shake it well To break the seal twist the nozzle clockwise one full turn (the nozzle should then be in the same direction as before turning).. Put your hand in one of the plastic disposal bags provided in the pack Hold the container as shown in the picture.5. To administer the enema, lie on your left side with the left leg straight and the right leg bent forward for balance. Carefully insert the applicator tip into the rectum. Maintain sufficient steady hand pressure while dispersing the bottle content. The bottle content should be applied within max. 30-40 seconds. QN-8114Ir-04 6.Once the bottle is empty, withdraw the tip with the bottle still compressed 7. The enema should be retained in the bowel. Remain relaxed in the administration position for 5-10 minutes or until the urge to pass the enema has disappeared. 8. Roll the plastic disposal bag over the empty bottle. Discard it and wash your hands. If you use more Pentasa than you should If you accidentally use too much, you should go to your nearest emergency department or contact your doctor immediately. Take the carton with you. If you forget to use Pentasa If you forget to use a dose, use the next dose in the morning if it is convenient. Otherwise, use one as usual the next night. Do not use a double dose to make up for the forgotten one. If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Pentasa can cause side effects although not
everyone gets them.
Following rectal administration local reactions such as itching
rectal discomfort and urge may occur.
STOP taking Pentasa if you notice:
• Itching,skin rashes, swelling of the face, lips or throat, difficulty in breathing or wheeziness (signs of an allergic reaction).
• Skin disorder due to an allergic reaction or infection (Erythema mulitforme or Stevens-Johnson syndrome). Symptoms include severe rash, blisters or red splotches on the skin.
• Unexplained bleeding, brusing, skin rashes, fever or sore throat (signs of blood disorder).
• Change in colour or amount of urine produced (signs of kidney problems).
• Chest pain, an increase in heartbeat or excess tiredness (signs of heart problems).
• Inflammation of the liver or liver failure, symptoms include yellowing of the eyes and/or skin (Jaundice), dark urine, stomach pain, fever, feeling tired or nausea.
• Inflammation of the pancreas, symptoms include back and/or stomach pain, fever, nausea and vomiting.
• Ulcerative colitis involving the entire large intestine. If you experience any of the above side effects you should contact your doctor or go to the nearest hostpital emergency department immediately.
Common side effects (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
• rash with our without itching
Rare side effects (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people)
• stomach pain
• inflammation of the heart or area surrounding the heart
• flatulence (passing wind)
• raised level of a pancreatic enzyme
• Increased sensitivity of your skin to sun and ultraviolet light (photosensitivity).
Very rare side effects (may affect up to 1 in 10,000 people)
• raised liver enzymes
• hair loss (reversible)
• joint and muscle pain
• allergic reactions and fever
• lupus erythematosis (an auto-immune disorder effecting the skin)
• skin rash or blisters e.g.Erythema Multiforme or Steven-Johnson syndrome
• semen with a low concentration of sperm (oligospermia) (this is reversible)
• blood disorders (e.g. low levels of red blood cells)
• tingling or numbness in the hands and feet
• allergic and fibrotic lung reactions (including breathing problems)
• changes in kidney function or kidney failure
• inflammation of the pancreas
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme, website: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard, or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Pentasa
Do not store above 25ºC. Keep the foil packed bottles in the outer carton in order to protect them from light. Do not use after the expiry date detailed on the pack. Keep out of sight and reach of children. Return any old or unused medicines to your pharmacist for disposal.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantees
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.