Brand Name Choices
What Pravachol is and what it is used for
Pravastatin Sodium Tablets belongs to a group of medicines called statins (or HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors). It prevents the production of cholesterol by the liver and consequently reduces the levels of cholesterol and other fats (triglycerides) in your body. When there are excessive levels of cholesterol in the blood, the cholesterol accumulates on the walls of blood vessels and block them. This condition is called hardening of the arteries or atherosclerosis, may lead to:
• chest pain (angina pectoris), when a blood vessels in the heart is partially blocked,
• a heart attack (myocardial infraction), when a blood vessels in the heart is completely blocked,
• a stroke (cerebrovascular accident), when a blood vessel in the brain is completely blocked. This medicine is used in 3 situations: In the treatment of high levels of cholesterol and fats in the blood Pravastatin Sodium Tablets is used to lower high levels of "bad" cholesterol and to raise the levels of "good" cholesterol in the blood when changes to diet and exercise have failed to adequately do this. In the prevention of heart and blood vessel diseases
• If you have high levels of cholesterol in your blood and risk factors favouring these diseases (if you smoke, are overweight, if you have high blood sugar levels or high blood pressure, if you take little exercise), Pravastatin Sodium Tablets is used to reduce the risk of you having heart and blood vessel diseases and to lower your risk of dying from these diseases.
• If you have already had a heart attack or have unstable angina (chest pain) and you have normal cholesterol levels, Pravastatin Sodium reduces the risk of you having another heart attack or stroke in the future. After organ transplants: If you have had an organ transplant and are taking medication to stop your body rejecting the transplant, Pravastatin Sodium reduces increased lipid levels
How to take Pravachol
Always take your tablets exactly as your doctor has instructed you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
• Pravastatin Sodium Tablets can be taken with or without food. Swallow the correct number of tablets with glass of water.
• You should continue taking Pravastatin Sodium Tablets as long as your doctor has advised you to do so. This will vary from person to person and your doctor will adjust the number and strength of the tablets to suit you. Dose instructions for adults and adolescents (14-18 years)
• In the treatment of high level of cholesterol and fats in the blood: The usual dose of Pravastatin Sodium is 10-40 mg once a day preferably in the evening.
• In the prevention of heart and blood vessel diseases: the usual dose is 40 mg once a day, preferably in the evening. The maximum daily dose of 40 mg of pravastatin should not be exceeded. Your doctor shall tell you which dose suits you. Dose instructions for children (8-13 years) The usual dose is 10-20 mg once a day. After organ transplant: Your doctor may prescribe a starting dose of 20 mg once a day. The dose may be adjusted up to 40 mg by your doctor. If you are also taking a medicine which lowers the body’s immune system (ciclosporin), your doctor may prescribe a starting dose of 20 mg once a day. The dose may be adjusted up to 40 mg by your doctor. If you suffer from kidney or severe liver disease, your doctor may prescribe a lower dose of Pravastatin Sodium to you. If you have the impression that the effect of this treatment is too strong or too weak, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. Duration of treatment Your doctor will indicate the duration of your treatment with Pravastatin Sodium. This medicine must be used very regularly and for as long as your doctor advises, even if it is for a very long time. Do not stop your treatment by yourself. If you take more Pravastatin Sodium Tablets than you should If you take more tablets than you have been told to take, or if someone else accidentally takes your medicine, contact accident and emergency department of your nearest hospital for appropriate advice. Take any left over tablets or empty box with you for easier identification. If you forget to take Pravastatin Sodium Tablets If you miss a dose, simply take your usual dose when it is next due. Do not take a double dose to make up for the forgotten dose, take your next dose as usual and continue your course. If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Pravastatin Sodium Tablets can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Uncommon side effects (≥ 1/1000 < 1/100)
• Sleep disturbances
• Insomnia (sleeplessness)
• Vision disturbance (blurred vision or double vision)
• Dyspepsia (difficulty in digesting food)/ heartburn
• Abdominal pain
• Nausea(urge to vomit)/ Vomiting
• Skin reactions like itching and rashes
• Scalp and hair problems (including hair loss)
• Abnormal urination (pain, frequent urination at night)
• Disturbed sexual functions
• Fatigue (tiredness)
Very rare side effects (< 1/10,000):
• Hypersensitivity reactions (angioneurotic oedema, anaphylaxis) such as serious allergic reactions with swelling of the face, tongue and wind pipe which can cause great difficulty in breathing. This is a very rare reaction which can be very serious. You should seek medical attention immediately if this occurs.
• Problems with touch (burning / tingling sensation or numbness or pins and needles (paresthesia) may occur which may be a sign of damage to the nerve endings (peripheral polyneuropathy)
Rarely, patients have developed muscle wasting or inflammation, and very rarely this has progressed to become a serious potentially life-threatening condition (called 'rhabdomyolysis'). Acute renal failure secondary to myoglobinuria (the presence of myoglobin in the urine), myositis (inflammation of muscles), myopathy (muscle disease), polymyositis (chronic muscle inflammation) may be associated with rhabdomyolysis. If you have muscle weakness, tenderness or pain and particularly at the same time, you feel unwell or have a high temperature, stop taking Pravastatin Sodium Tablets and tell your doctor immediately.
• Pancreatitis (Inflammation of the pancreas)
• Chronic inflammatory autoimmune disorder (An illness that occurs when the body tissues are attacked by its own immune system), a certain type of chronic skin disorder (lupus like syndrome).
• Yellowish discolouration of the skin (jaundice), tissues and body fluids.
• Hepatitis (Inflammation of liver), acute liver failure
• Tendon disorders complicated by rupture.
• Increases in transaminases (a group of enzymes occurring naturally in the blood) which may be a sign of liver problems. Your doctor may want to perform tests periodically to check these. Possible side-effects
• Memory loss
• Breathing problems including persistant cough and/or shortness of breath or fever Diabetes. This is more likely if you have high levels of sugars and fats in your blood, are overweight and have high blood pressure. Your doctor will monitor you while you are taking this medicine. If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
How to Store Pravachol
Keep out of reach and sight of children.
• Store below 25°C. Store in the original package in order to protect from light and moisture.
• Do not use the tablets after the expiry date stated on the carton and blister (EXP). The expiry date refers to the last day of that month
• Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantees
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.