What Prevacid is and what it is used for
The active ingredient in Lansoprazole Gastro-resistant Capsules is lansoprazole, which is a proton pump inhibitor. Proton pump inhibitors reduce the amount of acid that your stomach makes. Your doctor may prescribe Lansoprazole for the following conditions:
•treatment of duodenal and stomach ulcer
•treatment of inflammation in your oesophagus (reflux oesophagitis)
•prevention of reflux oesophagitis
•treatment of heartburn and acid regurgitation
•treatment of infections caused by the bacteria Helicobacter pylori when given in combination with antibiotic therapy
•treatment or prevention of duodenal or stomach ulcer in patients requiring continued NSAID treatment (NSAID treatment is used against pain or inflammation)
•treatment of Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome. Your doctor may have prescribed Lansoprazole for another indication or with a dose different from that which is written in this information leaflet. Please follow your doctor’s instructions for taking your medicine
How to take Prevacid
Swallow the capsule whole with a glass of water. If you find the capsules difficult to swallow your doctor may advise on alternative ways to take your medicine. Do not crush or chew these capsules or the content of an emptied capsule because this will stop them from working properly. If you are taking Lansoprazole once a day, try to take it at the same time each day. You may get best results if you take Lansoprazole first thing in the morning. If you are taking Lansoprazole twice a day, you should have the first dose in the morning and the second dose in the evening. The dose of Lansoprazole depends on your condition. The usual doses of Lansoprazole for adults are given below. Your doctor will sometimes prescribe you a different dose and will tell you how long your treatment will last. Treatment of heartburn and acid regurgitation: One 15 mg or 30 mg capsule every day for 4 weeks. If symptoms persist you should report to your doctor. If your symptoms are not relieved within 4 weeks, please contact your doctor. Treatment of duodenal ulcer: one 30 mg capsule every day for 2 weeks. Treatment of stomach ulcer: one 30 mg capsule every day for 4 weeks. Treatment of inflammation in your oesophagus (reflux oesophagitis): one 30 mg capsule every day for 4 weeks. Long-term prevention of reflux oesophagitis: one 15 mg capsule every day, your doctor may adjust your dose to one 30 mg capsule every day. Treatment of infection of Helicobacter pylori: The usual dose is one 30 mg capsule in combination with two different antibiotics in the morning and one 30 mg capsule in combination with two different antibiotics in the evening. Treatment will usually be every day for 7 days. The recommended combinations of antibiotics are: 30 mg Lansoprazole together with 250-500 mg clarithromycin and 1000 mg amoxicillin. 30 mg Lansoprazole together with 250 mg clarithromycin and 400-500 mg metronidazole. If you are being treated for infection because you have an ulcer, it is unlikely that your ulcer will return if the infection is successfully treated. To give your medicine the best chance of working, take it at the right time and do not miss a dose. Treatment of duodenal or stomach ulcer in patients requiring continued NSAID treatment: one 30 mg capsule every day for 4 weeks. Prevention of duodenal or stomach ulcer in patients requiring continued NSAID treatment: one 15 mg capsule every day, your doctor may adjust your dose to one 30 mg capsule every day. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: The usual dose is two 30 mg capsules every day to start with, then depending on how you respond to Lansoprazole the dose that your doctor decides is best for you. Lansoprazole should not be given to children. Always take Lansoprazole exactly as your doctor has told you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure. If you take more Lansoprazole than you should If you take more Lansoprazole than you have been told to, seek medical advice quickly or consult the Toxicological Information Service. If you forget to take Lansoprazole If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember unless it is nearly time for your next dose. If this happens, skip the missed dose and take the remaining capsules as normal. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten capsule. If you stop taking Lansoprazole Do not stop treatment early because your symptoms have got better. Your condition may not have been fully healed and may reoccur if you do not finish your course of treatment. If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Lansoprazole can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Tell your doctor immediately if you notice any of the following serious side effects – you may need urgent medical treatment:
• skin reactions such as burning or pricking feeling under the skin, bruising, reddening and excessive sweating
• angiodema; you should see your doctor immediately if you experience symptoms of angioedema, such as swollen face, tongue or pharynx, difficulty swallowing, hives and difficulty breathing
• severe hypersensitivity reactions including shock. Symptoms of a hypersensitivity reaction may include fever, rash, swelling and sometimes a fall in blood pressure
• very severe skin reactions with reddening, blistering, severe inflammation and skin loss
• very rarely Lansoprazole may cause a reduction in the number of white blood cells and your resistance to infection may be decreased. If you experience an infection with symptoms such as fever and serious deterioration of your general condition, or fever with local infection symptoms such as sore throat/pharynx/mouth or urinary problems you should see your doctor immediately. A blood test will be done to check possible reduction of white blood cells (agranulocytosis)
• if you are on Lansoprazole for more than three months it is possible that the levels of magnesium in your blood may fall. Low levels of magnesium can be seen as fatigue, involuntary muscle contractions, disorientation, convulsions, dizziness, increased heart rate. If you get any of these symptoms, please tell your doctor promptly. Low levels of magnesium can also lead to a reduction in potassium or calcium levels in the blood. Your doctor may decide to perform regular blood tests to monitor your levels of magnesium.
The following side effects are common (occur in more than 1 in 100 patients):
• benign polyps in the stomach
• headache, dizziness
• diarrhoea, constipation, stomach pains, feeling or being sick, wind, dry or sore mouth or throat
• skin rash, itching
• changes in liver function test values
The following side effects are uncommon (occur in less than 1 in 100 patients):
• joint and muscle pain
• fluid retention or swelling
• changes in blood cell counts
• fracture in the hip, wrist or spine.
The following side effects are rare (occur in less than 1 in 1000 patients):
• restlessness, drowsiness, confusion, hallucinations, insomnia, visual disturbances, vertigo
• a change in the way things taste, loss of appetite, inflammation of your tongue (glossitis)
• sensitivity to light
• hair loss
• pins and needles (paraesthesia), trembling
• anaemia (paleness)
• kidney problems
• inflammation of the liver (may be seen as yellow skin or eyes)
• breast swelling in males, impotence
• candidiasis (fungal infection, may affect skin or the mucosa).
The following side effects are very rare (occur in less than 1 in 10000 patients):
• inflammation of your mouth (stomatitis)
• colitis (bowel inflammation)
• changes in test values such as sodium, cholesterol and triglyceride levels. The frequency of the following side effects is not known:
• rash, possibly with pain in the joints.
• visual hallucinations.
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Prevacid
Keep out of the reach and sight of children. Do not use Lansoprazole after the expiry date which is stated on the blister and carton. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. Do not store above 25°C. Store in the original package in order to protect from moisture. Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantees
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.