What Prilosec is and what it is used for
Acid Reflux gastro-resistant tablets contain the active substance Omeprazole. It belongs to a group of medicines called ‘proton pump inhibitors’. They work by reducing the amount of acid that your stomach produces. Acid Reflux Tablets are used in adults for the short-term treatment of reflux symptoms (for example, heartburn, acid regurgitation). Reflux is the backflow of acid from the stomach into the gullet “foodpipe”, which may become inflamed and painful. This may cause you symptoms such as a painful burning sensation in the chest rising up to the throat (heartburn) and a sour taste in the mouth (acid regurgitation). It might be necessary to take the tablets for 2-3 consecutive days to achieve improvement of symptoms
How to take Prilosec
Always take Acid Reflux Tablets exactly as described in this leaflet. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure. The recommended dose is one 20 mg tablet or two 10 mg tablets once a day for 14 days. Contact your doctor if you are not free from symptoms after this period. It might be necessary to take the tablets for 2-3 consecutive days to achieve improvement of symptoms. Taking this medicine
• It is recommended that you take your tablets in the morning.
• You can take your tablets with food or on an empty stomach.
• Swallow your tablets whole with half a glass of water. Do not chew or crush the tablets. This is because the tablets are coated with an enteric coating which stops the medicine from being broken down by the acid in your stomach. The tablets release the active ingredient in the intestine, where it is absorbed by your body to give an effect. If you take more Acid Reflux Tablets than you should If you take more Acid Reflux Tablets than recommended, talk to your doctor or pharmacist straight away. If you forget to take Acid Reflux Tablets If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Acid Reflux Tablets can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. If you notice any of the following rare but serious side effects, stop taking Acid Reflux Tablets and contact a doctor immediately:
• Sudden wheezing, swelling of your lips, tongue and throat or body, rash, fainting or difficulties in swallowing (severe allergic reaction).
• Reddening of the skin with blisters or peeling. There may also be severe blisters and bleeding in the lips, eyes, mouth, nose and genitals. This could be ‘Stevens-Johnson syndrome’ or ‘toxic epidermal necrolysis’.
• Yellow skin, dark urine and tiredness which can be symptoms of liver problems.
Other side effects include:
Common side effects (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
• Effects on your stomach or gut: diarrhoea, stomach pain, constipation, wind (flatulence).
• Feeling sick (nausea) or being sick (vomiting).
• Benign polyps in the stomach.
Uncommon side effects (may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
• Swelling of the feet and ankles.
• Disturbed sleep (insomnia).
• Dizziness, tingling feelings such as “pins and needles”, feeling sleepy.
• Spinning feeling (vertigo).
• Changes in blood tests that check how the liver is working.
• Skin rash, lumpy rash (hives) and itchy skin.
• Generally feeling unwell and lacking energy.
Rare side effects (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people)
• Blood problems such as a reduced number of white cells or platelets. This can cause weakness, bruising or make infections more likely.
• Allergic reactions, sometimes very severe, including swelling of the lips, tongue and throat, fever, wheezing.
• Low levels of sodium in the blood. This may cause weakness, being sick (vomiting) and cramps.
• Feeling agitated, confused or depressed.
• Taste changes.
• Eyesight problems such as blurred vision.
• Suddenly feeling wheezy or short of breath (bronchospasm).
• Dry mouth.
• An inflammation of the inside of the mouth.
• An infection called "thrush" which can affect the gut and is caused by a fungus.
• Liver problems, including jaundice which can cause yellow skin, dark urine, and tiredness.
• Hair loss (alopecia).
• Skin rash on exposure to sunshine.
• Joint pains (arthralgia) or muscle pains (myalgia).
• Severe kidney problems (interstitial nephritis).
• Increased sweating.
• Inflammation in the gut (leading to diarrhoea)
Very rare side effects (may affect up to 1 in 10,000 people)
• Changes in blood count including agranulocytosis (lack of white blood cells).
• Seeing, feeling or hearing things that are not there (hallucinations).
• Severe liver problems leading to liver failure and inflammation of the brain.
• Sudden onset of a severe rash or blistering or peeling skin. This may be associated with a high fever and joint pains (Erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis).
• Muscle weakness.
• Enlarged breasts in men.
• Hypomagnesaemia (low level of magnesium in the blood). Not Known (Frequency cannot be estimated from the available data)
• Rash, possibly with pain in the joints. Acid Reflux Tablets may in very rare cases affect the white blood cells leading to immune deficiency. If you have an infection with symptoms such as fever with a severely reduced general condition or fever with symptoms of a local infection such as pain in the neck, throat or mouth or difficulties in urinating, you must consult your doctor as soon as possible so that a lack of white blood cells (agranulocytosis) can be ruled out by a blood test. It is important for you to give information about your medicine at this time. Do not be concerned by this list of possible side effects. You may not get any of them. If any of the side effects get serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Prilosec
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
• Do not use Acid Reflux Tablets after the expiry date which is stated on the pack after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• Do not store above 30°C.
• Store this blister in the original package in order to protect from moisture.
• Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantees
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.