Procardia XL(Nifedipine ER)
Procardia XL 20mgExtended Release Tablets
Marketed as Adalat LA in United Kingdom
Procardia XL 20mgExtended Release Tablets
Marketed as Adalat XL in Canada
What is a generic medication?
Generic medications are significantly discounted copies of brand name medication that have the same active ingredients, intended use, dosage, side effects, effects, and route of administration as the original brand name medication. In other words, generic medications have the same pharmacological effects as their brand-name counterparts. Over half of all prescribed medications are for generic medications.
What Procardia XL is and what it is used for
Adalat LA contains nifedipine, which belongs to a group of medicines called calcium antagonists. Adalat LA is used to treat high blood pressure or angina (chest pain). V 025_0 For high blood pressure: Adalat LA works by relaxing and expanding the blood vessels. This makes the blood flow more easily and lowers blood pressure. Lower blood pressure reduces the strain on your heart. For angina: Adalat LA works by relaxing and expanding the arteries supplying the heart. This allows more blood and oxygen to reach the heart and decreases the strain on it. Your angina attacks will be less severe and less frequent if there is less strain on the heart.
How to take Procardia XL
Adalat LA is specially formulated so that you only have to take one dose each day. Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor if you are not sure.
• Dose for high blood pressure: the usual dose is 1 tablet, once a day.
• Dose for angina: the dose depends on your individual requirements. Your doctor will decide how much you should take.
• Swallow the tablets whole. Do not bite, chew or break them – if you do they will not work properly. If you have difficulty swallowing tablets, consult your doctor as he or she may wish to change your medicine.
• Continue to take these tablets for as long as your doctor has told you to. Take your dose at the same time each day, preferably in the morning. Take your tablets with a glass of water. Do not take them with grapefruit juice. You can take Adalat LA with or without food. You may see what looks like a complete tablet in the toilet or in your stools. This is normal – it’s the outer shell of the tablet which is not digested by the body. Use in children and adolescents: Adalat LA is not recommended for use in children and adolescents below 18 years of age, because there are only limited data on the safety and efficacy in this population. V 025_0 If you take more Adalat LA than you should Get medical help immediately. If possible, take your tablets or the box with you to show the doctor. Taking too many tablets may cause your blood pressure to become too low and your heartbeats to speed up or slow down. It may also lead to an increase in your blood sugar level or an increase in the acidity of your blood, swelling in the lungs, low blood oxygen levels and disturbances in consciousness, possibly leading to unconsciousness. If you forget to take Adalat LA Take your normal dose immediately and continue taking your tablets at the usual time of day, waiting at least 12 hours before taking the next dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Serious side effects If you notice:
• Severe, sudden generalised allergic reaction including very rarely life-threatening shock (e.g. difficulty in breathing, drop of blood pressure, fast pulse), swelling (including potentially life-threatening swelling of the airway)
• other allergic reactions causing swelling under the skin (possibly severe and including swelling of the larynx that may result in a life-threatening outcome)
• fast heart beat (tachycardia)
• shortness of breath (frequency not known) or difficulty breathing
• mild to moderate allergic reactions
• itching (possibly severe), a rash or hives Contact your doctor immediately and do not take the next dose as these may be the first signs of allergic reaction which may become severe. If you develop:
• a skin reaction or blistering/peeling of the skin and/or mucosal reactions (in the mouth/nose or at the penis/vagina) (Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis) Contact your doctor immediately before you continue treatment as these may be signs of a severe reaction. Less serious side effects Apart from the side effects listed above, these are the other side effects of Adalat LA, starting with the more common ones: V 025_0
Common side effects (These may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
• general feeling of being unwell
• swelling, particularly of the ankles and legs
Uncommon side effects (These may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
• stomach pain (abdominal pain)
• unspecific pain
• low blood pressure when standing up (symptoms include fainting, dizziness, light headedness, occasional palpitations, blurred vision and sometimes confusion)
• irregular heartbeat (palpitations)
• dry mouth
• indigestion or upset stomach
• wind (flatulence)
• feeling sick (nausea)
• muscle cramps
• joint swelling
• sleep disorders
• anxiety or nervousness
• reddening of the skin
• nose bleeds
• nasal congestion
• sensation of spinning or whirling motion (vertigo)
• increase in the need to pass water (urinate)
• painful or difficult urination
• inability to achieve or maintain an erection (impotence)
• blurred vision
• temporary increase in certain liver enzymes
Rare side effects (These may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people)
• pins and needles
• inflammation of the gums, tender or swollen gums, bleeding gums
Other side effects (Frequency not known: frequency cannot be estimated from the available data)
• stomach pain or distress caused by a mass of foreign material found in the stomach which may require surgery for removal
• difficulty swallowing V 025_0
• abdominal pain, caused by obstruction of the gut or ulcers in the gut
• a reduction in the number of white blood cells (leucopenia)
• a more severe decrease in a specific class of white blood cell (agranulocytosis)
• increased blood sugar (hyperglycaemia)
• decreased skin sensitivity (hypoaesthesia)
• drowsiness (somnolence)
• eye pain
• chest pain (angina pectoris)
• heartburn or indigestion (gastroesophageal sphincter insufficiency)
• yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
• sensitivity to light (photosensitivity allergic reaction)
• small, raised areas of bleeding in the skin (palpable purpura)
• joint pain
• muscle pain All of these symptoms usually go away when treatment with Adalat LA is stopped.
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Procardia XL
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children. Store your medicine in its original container. Protect from strong light and only remove the tablet from the blister strip when you are about to take it. Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on both the outer carton and on each blister strip of tablets after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: All medical content is supplied by a third party company who is independent from this web site. As such, this web site can not guarantee the reliability, accuracy, and /or medical efficacy of the information provided. In all circumstances, you should seek the advice of a health professional pertaining to drug, treatment and/or medical condition advice. Note that not all products are shipped by our contracted Canadian pharmacy. This website contracts with dispensaries around the world that ship products directly to our customers. Some of the jurisdiction include but are not limited to United Kingdom, Europe, Turkey, India, Canada, Vanuatu, Mauritius, and USA. The items within your order may be shipped from any one of these jurisdiction depending on the availability and cost of the products at the time you place your order. The products are sourced from these countries as well as others. Please note that the product appearance may vary from actual product received depending on availability.