What Proscar is and what it is used for
Proscar contains a medicine called finasteride. This belongs to a group of medicines
called ‘5-alpha reductase inhibitors’.
Proscar shrinks the prostate gland in men when it is swollen. The prostate gland is
found underneath the bladder (but only in men). It produces the fluid found in semen. A
swollen prostate gland can lead to a condition called ‘benign prostatic hyperplasia’ or
What is BPH?
If you have BPH it means that your prostate gland is swollen. It can press on the tube
that urine passes through, on its way out of your body.This can lead to problems such as:
• feeling like you need to pass urine more often, especially at night
• feeling that you must pass urine right away
• finding it difficult to start passing urine
• when you pass urine the flow of urine is weak
• when you pass urine the flow stops and starts
• feeling that you cannot empty your bladder completely In some men, BPH can lead to more serious problems, such as:
• urinary tract infections
• a sudden inability to pass urine
• the need for surgery What else should you know about BPH?
• BPH is not cancer and does not lead to cancer, but the two conditions can be present at the same time.
• Before you start Proscar, your doctor will do some simple tests to check whether you have prostate cancer. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions about this.
How to take Proscar
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check
with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Taking this medicine
• The usual dose is one tablet each day.
• Take this medicine by mouth.
• Your doctor may prescribe Proscar along with another medicine (called doxazosin) to help control your BPH. If you take more Proscar than you should If you take too many tablets by mistake, contact your doctor immediately. If you forget to take Proscar
• If you forget to take a tablet, skip the missed dose.
• Take the next dose as usual.
• Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose. If you stop taking Proscar Your condition may show an early improvement after taking Proscar. However, it may take at least six months for the full effect to develop. It is important to keep taking Proscar for as long as your doctor tells you, even if you do not feel any benefit straight away. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets
The following side effects may happen with this medicine: Allergic reactions Stop using Proscar and immediately contact a doctor if you experience any of the following symptoms:
• Swelling of face, lips, tongue or throat, difficulty swallowing and breathing difficulties (angioedema)
• Skin rashes, itching, or lumps under your skin (hives).
Other side effects may include:
• You may be unable to have an erection (impotence)
• You may have less desire to have sex
• You may have problems with ejaculation, for example a decrease in the amount of semen released during sex. This decrease in the amount of semen does not appear to affect normal sexual function. These side effects above may disappear after a while if you continue taking Proscar. If not, they usually resolve after stopping Proscar.
Other side effects reported in some men are:
• Breast swelling or tenderness
• Palpitations (feeling your heartbeat)
• Changes in the way your liver is working, which can be shown by a blood test
• Pain in your testicles
• An inability to have an erection which may continue after stopping the medication
• Male infertility and/or poor quality of semen. Improvement in the quality of the semen has been reported after stopping medication
• Decrease in sex drive that may continue after stopping the medication
• Problems with ejaculation that may continue after stopping the medication
• Anxiety You should promptly report to your doctor any changes in your breast tissue such as lumps, pain, enlargement or nipple discharge as these may be signs of a serious condition, such as breast cancer. If any of the side effects get serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet please tell your doctor or pharmacist. It will help if you make a note of what happened, when it started and how long it lasted. What else should you know about Proscar? Proscar (finasteride) is not licensed to treat prostate cancer. Information collected for a clinical trial in men taking finasteride for 7 years showed:
• The number of men who developed prostate cancer was lower in men taking finasteride compared with those taking nothing.
• The number of men who had a high score in a tumour grading system was higher in some of those taking finasteride compared to those taking nothing.
• The effect of long-term use of finasteride on tumours of this kind is not known. If you would like further information about the tumour grading system or this trial, please talk to your doctor.
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Proscar
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children. Do not store your tablets above 30°C. Keep them in the original package. If you have been given a calendar pack, do not remove the tablets from the blister until you are ready to take the medicine. Do not use Proscar after the expiry date which is stated on the carton after the letters EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help to protect the environment
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantees
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.