Brand Name Choices
No generic medication is available for Rifamate (Isoniazid/Rifampacin)
What Rifamate is and what it is used for
Ri nah 150/100mg Tablets contain two di erent medicines called rifampicin and isoniazid. They both belong to a group of medicines called anti-tuberculous drugs. They work by killing the bacteria that cause tuberculosis. Ri nah 150/100mg Tablets are used to treat tuberculosis (also known as TB)
How to take Rifamate
Always take Ri nah 150/100mg Tablets exactly as your
doctor has told you. You should check with your doctor or
pharmacist if you are not sure.
Keep taking this medicine
• You must take the tablets every day for the whole time the doctor has told you to take them
• Do not stop and start taking the tablets. This may increase the risk of side e ects and your TB will not be treated properly How to take the tablets
• Take this medicine by mouth
• Swallow the tablets whole, with a drink of water
• Take at least 30 minutes before a meal or 2 hours after a meal. They are best taken at least 30 minutes before breakfast
• Take all your tablets together each day, as a single dose
• Do not give this medicine to children
• If you feel the e ect of your medicine is too weak or too strong, do not change the dose yourself, but ask your doctor Your doctor may ask you to take Vitamin B6 during treatment with Ri nah 150/100mg Tablets, especially if you are malnourished, elderly or a diabetic. How much to take The usual dose is: Adults and the Elderly weighing less than 50kg
• 3 tablets each day
• If you are elderly, your doctor may monitor your treatment more closely Adults and the Elderly weighing more than 50kg
• Rifinah 300/150mg Tablets are usually prescribed Children This medicine is not recommended for use in children. If you take more Ri nah 150/100mg Tablets than you should If you take more Ri nah 150/100mg Tablets than you should, tell a doctor or go to a hospital casualty department straight away. Take the medicine pack with you. This is so the doctor knows what you have taken. You may feel sick (nausea), be sick (vomiting), have stomach pain, itching or a headache. You may also feel tired, sleepy, dizzy, light-headed, have blurred or strange visions (hallucinations) and faint or feel faint. Other signs of taking too much include swelling of the face, eyes or eyelids, slurring of speech, di culty breathing, fast heartbeat, uneven heartbeats, ts and heart attack. If you forget to take Ri nah 150/100mg Tablets If you forget a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. However, if it is nearly time for the next dose, skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for the forgotten tablets. Tests Taking Ri nah 150/100mg Tablets may a ect the results of some blood tests. In particular, tests for folate, vitamin B12 and liver function. If you are going to have a blood test, it is important to tell your doctor that you are taking Ri nah 150/100mg Tablets
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects,
although not everybody gets them.
Stop taking and go to a hospital straight away if you
notice any of the following serious side e ects:
• You have an allergic reaction. The signs may include: a rash, swallowing or breathing problems, wheezing, swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue
• You get blistering, peeling, bleeding, scaling or fluid lled patches on any part of your skin. This includes your lips, eyes, mouth, nose, genitals, hands or feet. You may have a serious skin problem
• You bruise more easily than usual. Or you may have a painful rash of dark red spots under the skin which do not go away when you press on them (purpura). This could be because of a serious blood problem
• You have chills, tiredness, unusually pale skin colour, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat or dark coloured urine. These could be signs of a serious type of anaemia
• You have blood in your urine or an increase or decrease in amount of urine you produce. You may also get swelling, especially of the legs, ankles or feet. This may be caused by serious kidney problems
• You have a sudden severe headache. This could be a sign of bleeding in the brain
• Shortness of breath and wheezing
• You get confused, sleepy, cold clammy skin, shallow or di cult breathing, a racing heartbeat or your skin is paler than normal. These could be signs of shock
• You get more infections more easily than normal. Signs include fever, sore throat or mouth ulcers. This could be because you have a low number of white blood cells
• You have bleeding from your nose, ear, gums, throat, skin or stomach. Signs may include a feeling of tenderness and swelling in your stomach, purple spots on your skin and black or tar-like stools If you experience any of the following side e ects contact your doctor as soon as possible:
• Inflammation of the pancreas, which causes severe pain in the abdomen and back (pancreatitis, frequency not known).
• Severe extensive skin damage (separation of the epidermis and super cial mucous membranes) (toxic epidermal necrolysis, TEN, may a ect up to 1 in 1,000 people).
• a drug reaction that causes rash, fever, inflammation of internal organs, hematologic abnormalities and systemic illness (DRESS syndrome, may a ect up to 1 in 1,000 people)Skin blistering, red/purple rash, fever headache, cough and joint pain (Stevens-Johnson syndrome, SJS).
• Yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes, or urine getting darker and stools paler, fatigue, weakness, malaise, loss of appetite, nausea or vomiting caused by liver problems (hepatitis, may a ect up to 1 in 100 people). Talk to your doctor straight away if you notice any of the following serious side e ects:
• Mental problems with unusual thoughts and strange visions (hallucinations)
• Severe watery diarrhoea that will not stop and you are feeling weak and have a fever. This may be something called ‘Pseudomembranous colitis’
• Your fits get worse or you start to have fits
• Flu-like symptoms including chills, fever, headache, dizziness and bone pains Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you have any of the following side e ects:
• Water retention (oedema) which may cause swollen face, stomach, arms or legs
• Muscle weakness or pain or loss of muscle reflexes
• Dizziness, feel lightheaded and faint especially when you stand or sit up quickly (due to low blood pressure)
• Swollen fingers, toes or ankles
• Balance problems with dizziness (vertigo)
• Being unable to concentrate, feeling nervous, irritable or depressed
• Feeling very tired and weak or di culty sleeping (insomnia)
• Unusual skin sensations such as feeling numb, tingling, pricking, burning or creeping on the skin (paraesthesia)
• Short-term memory loss, anxiety, being less alert or responsive
• Blurred or distorted eyesight
• Wasting of muscles or other body tissues
• Weight loss, night sweats and fever. These could be signs of a blood condition called eosinophilia
• Feeling sick or being sick Tell your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side e ects get serious or lasts longer than a few days:
• Skin flushing or itching
• Irregular periods
• Constipation, diarrhoea, stomach discomfort or dry mouth
• Loss of appetite (anorexia)
• Breast enlargement in men
• Increased thirst, going to the toilet more often and feeling tired. Your blood sugar may be high
• Inflammation of the blood vessels. Other side e ects you should discuss with your doctor if you are concerned about them
• You notice a discoloration (yellow, brown, orange or red colour) in your teeth, urine, sweat, phlegm (sputum), saliva or tears. This is quite common and you need not worry. However, the colour may permanently stain soft contact lenses. The colour in tears may last for some time after you have stopped having Ri nah 150/100mg Tablets. Blood tests
• A blood test may show changes in the way the liver is working Reporting of side e ects If you get any side e ects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side e ects not listed in this lea et. United Kingdom You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard Malta You can also report side effects directly via ADR Reporting www.medicinesauthority.gov.mt/ adrportal By reporting side e ects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Rifamate
Keep this medicine in a safe place where children cannot see or reach it. Do not use Ri nah 150/100mg Tablets after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and blister packs. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. Store below 25°C. Keep the blister in the outer carton, protect from moisture. Medicines should not be disposed of via waterwaste or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.