What Rocaltrol is and what it is used for
Rocaltrol contains a medicine called calcitriol. This belongs to a group of medicines called ‘vitamin D metabolites’. Rocaltrol is used to treat the following:
• Bone disease in people with kidney problems (renal osteodystrophy).
• Weakening of the bones in women after the menopause (change of life). This is also known as postmenopausal osteoporosis. Rocaltrol works by making your body absorb more calcium from your diet. This helps to form healthy bones and reduce bone damage.
How to take Rocaltrol
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor if you are not sure. Rocaltrol-PIL-UK-1405-0.25,0.50-cap Swallow the capsules whole with a little water. While you are taking Rocaltrol, your doctor will want you to have regular blood tests to check that the level of calcium in your blood does not get too high. Bone disease in people with kidney problems (renal osteodystrophy)
• The usual starting dose for adults and elderly people is one 0.25 microgram capsule once a day.
• After 2 to 4 weeks your doctor may start increasing your dose slowly by 0.25 microgram at a time.
• Eventually, depending on your blood test results, your doctor may need to adjust your dose again. He or she may ask you to take Rocaltrol two or three times a week instead of every day. The maximum dose each week is 12 micrograms. Bone disease after the menopause (post-menopausal osteoporosis)
• The usual dose for adult and elderly women is one 0.25 microgram capsule twice a day. If you take more Rocaltrol than you should
• If you take more Rocaltrol than you should, talk to a doctor or go to a hospital straight away. Take the medicine pack with you.
• If you take too many capsules, you may get too much calcium in your blood (hypercalcaemia). The signs include loss of appetite, weight loss, feeling sick, being sick, constipation, headache and feeling sluggish, drowsy or weak. If you forget to take Rocaltrol
• If you forget to take a dose, skip the missed dose. Then take your next dose as normal.
• Do not take a double dose (two doses at the same time) to make up for a forgotten dose. If you stop taking Rocaltrol Do not stop taking Rocaltrol without talking to your doctor. This is because weakness of your bones needs long term treatment. If someone else takes your Rocaltrol capsules by mistake, they should talk to a doctor or go to a hospital straight away. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
The following side effects may happen rarely with this medicine: High levels of calcium in your blood
• The signs include loss of appetite, weight loss, feeling sick, being sick, headache and feeling sluggish, drowsy or weak.
• Very high levels of calcium in your blood may lead to high temperature (fever), feeling thirsty, dehydration, passing more water than normal, wetting the bed, constipation, stomach pain, blockage of the bowel and an uneven heart beat. There may be infections in the bladder and normal growth may stop.
• Occasionally, mental problems may occur. Also there may be deposits of calcium in areas other than your bone (for example, in your kidneys as ‘kidney stones’). Your doctor may change your dose of Rocaltrol if this happens. Kidney
• Changes in how well your kidney is working (shown by blood tests). Rocaltrol-PIL-UK-1405-0.25,0.50-cap Allergic reactions
• The signs can include itchy skin, skin rashes and reddening of the skin (which may be severe). If any of the side effects become serious or troublesome, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Rocaltrol
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton, after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• Rocaltrol capsules should be kept in their original blisters and outer carton (to protect them from light and moisture).
• Do not store above 25°C.
• Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.