What Valtrex is and what it is used for
Valtrex belongs to a group of medicines called antivirals. It works by killing or stopping the growth of viruses called herpes simplex (HSV), varicella zoster (VZV) and cytomegalovirus (CMV). Valtrex can be used to:
• treat shingles (in adults)
• treat HSV infections of the skin and genital herpes (in adults and adolescents over 12 years old). It is also used to help prevent these infections from returning.
• treat cold sores (in adults and adolescents over 12 years old)
• prevent infection with CMV after organ transplants (in adults and adolescents over 12 years old)
• treat and prevent HSV infections of the eye that continue to come back (in adults and adolescents over 12 years old)
How to take Valtrex
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure. The dose that you should take will depend on why your doctor has prescribed Valtrex for you. Your doctor will discuss this with you. Treatment of shingles
• The usual dose is 1000 mg (one 1000 mg tablet or two 500 mg tablets) three times a day.
• You should take Valtrex for seven days. Treatment of cold sores
• The usual dose is 2000 mg (two 1000 mg tablets or four 500 mg tablets) twice a day.
• The second dose should be taken 12 hours (no sooner than 6 hours) after the first dose
• You should take Valtrex for one day (two doses) only. Treatment of HSV infections of the skin and genital herpes
• The usual dose is 500 mg (one 500 mg tablet or two 250 mg tablets) twice a day.
• For the first infection you should take Valtrex for five days or for up to ten days if your doctor tells you to. For recurrent infection the duration of treatment is normally 3-5 days. Helping to prevent HSV infections from returning after you have had them
• The usual dose is one 500 mg tablet once a day.
• Some people with frequent recurrences may benefit from taking one 250 mg tablet twice a day.
• You should take Valtrex until your doctor tells you to stop. To stop you being infected with CMV (Cytomegalovirus)
• The usual dose is 2000 mg (two 1000 mg tablets or four 500 mg tablets) four times a day.
• You should take each dose about 6 hours apart.
• You will usually start taking Valtrex as soon as possible after your surgery.
• You should take Valtrex for around 90 days after your surgery, until your doctor tells you to stop. Your doctor may adjust the dose of Valtrex if:
• you are over 65 years of age
• you have a weak immune system
• you have kidney problems. Talk to your doctor before taking Valtrex if any of the above apply. Taking this medicine
• Take this medicine by mouth.
• Swallow the tablets whole with a drink of water.
• Take Valtrex at the same time each day.
• Take Valtrex according to instructions from your doctor or pharmacist. People over 65 years of age or with kidney problems It is very important while you are taking Valtrex that you drink water regularly during the day. This will help to reduce side effects that can affect the kidney or nervous system. Your doctor will closely monitor you for signs of these. Nervous system side effects might include feeling confused or agitated, or feeling unusually sleepy or drowsy. If you take more Valtrex than you should Valtrex is not usually harmful, unless you take too much over several days. If you take too many tablets you may feel sick, vomit, get kidney problems, may be confused, agitated, feel less aware, see things that aren’t there, or become unconscious. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you take too much Valtrex. Take the medicine pack with you. If you forget to take Valtrex
• If you forget to take Valtrex, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is nearly time for your next dose, skip the missed dose.
• Don’t take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose
Possible side effects
How to Store Valtrex
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.