Brand Name Choices
What Zantac Syrup is and what it is used for
Zantac contains a medicine called ranitidine. This belongs to a group of medicines
called H2-receptor antagonists. It lowers the amount of acid in your stomach.
For adults (including the elderly) Zantac is used to:
• heal and stop ulcers in the stomach, or the part of the gut it empties into (the duodenum)
• help clear up infection in your stomach, when taken with antibiotic medicines (medicines taken to treat germs)
• stop stomach ulcers when they are a side effect of some medicines
• stop ulcers from bleeding
• improve problems caused by acid in the food pipe (oesophagus) or too much acid in the stomach. Both of these can cause pain or discomfort sometimes known as ‘indigestion’, ‘dyspepsia’ or ‘heartburn’stop acid coming up from the stomach while under anaesthetic during an operation. For children (3 to 18 years) Zantac is used to:
• heal ulcers in the stomach, of the part of the gut it empties into (the duodenum)
• heal and stop problems caused by acid in the food pipe (oesophagus) or too much acid in the stomach. Both of these can cause pain or discomfort sometimes known as “indigestion”,“dyspepsia” or “heartburn”.
How to take Zantac Syrup
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. You
should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Taking this medicine
• Take this medicine by mouth.
• Use the spoon provided to carefully measure the dose needed.
• Do not mix Zantac Syrup with anything (not even water) before swallowing it. The usual dose for an adult (including the elderly) is either:
• two 5 ml spoonfuls in the morning and two 5 ml spoonfuls in the evening, or
• four 5 ml spoonfuls at bedtime. Your exact dose will depend on your particular stomach condition, your doctor will tell you the dose you should take. Use in children 12 years and over: The adult dose is given. Use in children from 3 to 11 years: Your doctor will work out the right dose in mls based on your child’s weight. Make sure you follow the instructions on the label.Treatment of stomach and duodenal ulcers: The usual dose is 2 mg for each kg of body weight, twice a day for four weeks. This dose may be increased to 4 mg for each kg, twice a day. Take each dose about 12 hours apart. The duration of treatment may be increased to 8 weeks. Treatment of heartburn due to too much acid: The usual dose is 2.5 mg for each kg of body weight, twice a day for two weeks. This dose may be increased to 5 mg for each kg, twice a day. Take each dose about 12 hours apart. If you take more Zantac than you should Zantac is not normally harmful if you take more than you should, unless you take a lot of syrup at once. If this applies to you (or someone else taking this medicine), you should go to your nearest hospital casualty department straight away. Take the medicine pack or any remaining medicine with you so that the doctor knows what you have taken. If you forget to take Zantac
• If you forget a dose, take it as soon as you remember it, unless it is nearly time for your next dose.
• Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose. If you stop taking Zantac After a few days of taking the syrup you should start to feel much better. Do not stop taking the syrup without talking to your doctor or pharmacist first, otherwise the original pain and discomfort may come back. If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets
The following side effects may happen with this medicine. Stop taking Zantac and see a doctor straight away, if you notice any of the following serious side effects, you may need urgent medical treatment:
• allergic reactions, the signs may include:
•rash, itching or hives on the skin
•swelling of your face, lips, tongue or other parts of the body
•chest pain, shortness of breath, wheezing or having trouble breathing
•unexplained fever and feeling faint, especially when standing up.
• kidney problems, which can lead to back pain, fever, pain when passing urine, blood in the urine and changes in blood tests
• severe stomach pain, this may be signs of something called ‘pancreatitis’
• a slow or irregular heartbeat. Check with your doctor at your next visit if you notice any of the following:
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
• stomach pain
• feeling sick (nausea)
Rare (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people)
• skin rash
Rare side effects that may show up in blood tests:
• increase of serum creatinine in the blood (kidney function test)
• changes to liver function Check with your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any of the following:
Very rare (may affect up to 1 in 10,000 people)
• there can be changes in the level of certain substances in your blood. This can lead to you feeling unusually tired or short of breath and being more likely to bruise or get an infection
• feeling depressed, confused, seeing or hearing unexplained things (hallucinations)
• headache (sometimes severe)
• feeling dizzy or having blurred vision
• your joints or muscles are painful or swollen or you cannot control their movement
• your small blood vessels can become swollen (known as ‘vasculitis’). Signs of this can include: a rash, swollen joints or kidney problems
• your liver can become swollen. This can lead to: nausea (feeling sick) or vomiting (being sick), loss of appetite or generally feeling unwell, itching, fever, yellowing of the skin and eyes or dark coloured urine
• flushing or marks on your skin that look like targets
• unexplained hair loss
• breast tenderness and/or breast enlargement
• breast discharge
• awareness of the heart beat and/or increased heart rate
Not known (frequency cannot be estimated from the available data)
• shortness of breath
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine
How to Store Zantac Syrup
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the label. The expiry date refers to the last day of the month.
• Do not store above 25°C.
• Once opened, use within 28 days.
• Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help to protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
Your Trusted Pharmacy Referral Service
Medix Pharmacy is an international pharmacy referral service. With a network of licensed pharmacy partners in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, we are able to help you lower the costs of your medications.
Our pharmacy partners are all thoroughly vetted and qualified to ensure that the medication you receive is cost effective, safe and effective. Because we only work with licensed pharmacies, you can rest assured that your medication is safe, effective, and genuine.
- Free standard delivery to your door, to any international address
- Option to add Tracked Deliveries
- Handy reminders to re-order so you do not run out
- Professional & Knowledgeable Customer Services Team
- Save time, with no need for repeated trips to your physician or local drugstore
With a dedicated customer service team, free standard shipping, and a record of providing significant saving for our customers, we believe that you do not need to compromise quality or safety in your search for value.